Couple Homemade Porta-wraps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nailsbeats

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Here's a picture of the steel porta-wraps me and my brother wipped up. We fabbed these with high expectations, since many on here use them. Steel for strength, red for visibility. I think they should work fine. What do you think?
DSCN1795.jpg

The design looks good, not sure about the diameter of the solid steel, looks thinner than standard and might hurt bend ratio. Nothing to gauge it by so it might be the same as those commercially sold. Red paint for visability a good idea, but it will wear off soon enough. Nice work.

They are 9" long, 3" pipe with 3/16" wall, rod is 1/2". I am not sure if they are long enough to get the wraps needed. If not they can be easily extended or modified. They took about an hour to build, figuring the bends and tooling up for them was the only thing that really took any time.

Last edited:
is there anything you cant do nails?

dont go big on your first test run! if they hold up you just saved yourself some loot. good stuff.

they dont look fragile.....

is there anything you cant do nails?

dont go big on your first test run! if they hold up you just saved yourself some loot. good stuff.

they dont look fragile.....

Not really. Lol

We will test with care, if they don't have the snoose required we will mod them up until they do. Fragile huh, I think your messin with me now. :cheers:

Do you mean length or diameter? Diameter is 1/2".
I meant diameter, but no half inch looks like what mine is, nice job. Good luck with the paint though. I need another porta wrap for but lines I'm thinking the middle size will be sufficient, plus it'll be nice to have a smaller one too.
Does anyone actually use the smallest one?

good job have you used a Hobbs L D yet ?? besides a tree service i am a sierra Moreno mercantile dealer tom trees:clap:

good job have you used a Hobbs L D yet ?? besides a tree service i am a sierra Moreno mercantile dealer tom trees:clap:

crane work without the crane.

whats the difference between the hobbs and the grcs if you dont mind me asking there tom. i have never run one but would like to.

The ratcheting bollard Hobbs requires a bar be inserted into slots in the capstan for tensioning/lifting. Appx 17-1 mech advantage. pretty much requires two men. Works well with 3/4 inch line and smaller. Best for lowering heavy loads.

GRCS utilizes a 46-1 two speed self tailing Harken winch. Far superior to the Hobbs for all tree work but heavy wood lowering. Comes with a fixed bollard for heavy work--which doesn't allow tensioning the line, so the Hobbs is still best if tensioning is desired.

I have both.

The ratcheting bollard Hobbs requires a bar be inserted into slots in the capstan for tensioning/lifting. Appx 17-1 mech advantage. pretty much requires two men. Works well with 3/4 inch line and smaller. Best for lowering heavy loads.

GRCS utilizes a 46-1 two speed self tailing Harken winch. Far superior to the Hobbs for all tree work but heavy wood lowering. Comes with a fixed bollard for heavy work--which doesn't allow tensioning the line, so the Hobbs is still best if tensioning is desired.

I have both.

Nice post sounds right to me-and all this from a guy that owns an alpine fagnum! go figure, lol. Oh, and the grcs is stronger too right, by what is it 500 or 1000 pounds??

Last edited:
re: home made porta wrap

They look very nice. I am envious!!. And of your new equipment on another post.
This comment/question is more general than of the porta wraps. My climbing belt is a Klein 1984 vintage. When I got it I was told that if I were to ever drop it on a hard surface (concrete) I should have the D rings, etc Magna Fluxed and that I should have it Magna Fluxed anyway every so often. Magna Fluxing will show up cracks in the metal. I have never dropped it and I don't lend it out. But I have never had it Magna Fluxed either. I wonder what others experience has been. I remember someone posted a message about his gaffs breaking and the break showing an old hairline crack. Magna Fluxing would certainly have shown this easily. I would think Magna Fluxing the porta wraps might be a good idea as well. It would certainly tell if there was a crack at the weld site.
And I really do like your giant sized porta wraps!!
El Jefe

No. I have seen them and we are kind of kicking the idea of getting one or the GRCS around. I might even build my own GRCS style provided I find a winch cheap someday.

They look very nice. I am envious!!. And of your new equipment on another post.
This comment/question is more general than of the porta wraps. My climbing belt is a Klein 1984 vintage. When I got it I was told that if I were to ever drop it on a hard surface (concrete) I should have the D rings, etc Magna Fluxed and that I should have it Magna Fluxed anyway every so often. Magna Fluxing will show up cracks in the metal. I have never dropped it and I don't lend it out. But I have never had it Magna Fluxed either. I wonder what others experience has been. I remember someone posted a message about his gaffs breaking and the break showing an old hairline crack. Magna Fluxing would certainly have shown this easily. I would think Magna Fluxing the porta wraps might be a good idea as well. It would certainly tell if there was a crack at the weld site.
And I really do like your giant sized porta wraps!!
El Jefe
Wow dude, that sounds exactly like my saddle! and I'm not kidding, lol, I just use two overhands on straight rope, works for me, and if one were to break big deal there is another! but now the short line, thats another animal alltogether..... you got me thinking.. I don't really know of "magnafluxing" other than fer chevy motors, sinse they're all we deal with at my shop! Sounds like you're a gear head too eh??

Back