Cover or Uncover?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnydel29

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
The past few years, since we settled in our new home and burn wood regularly in a stove in the basement, I was always wondering if it is necessary to cover the log piles through the spring and summer?? I cut & stack every March / April. Some is green, some is seasoned maybe one year. Should I cover it through spring & Summer. Sorry if it sounds like a not so smart question.

I tarp mine before the fall rains come. I prefer to let the sun shine right on the wood during the summer.

If you choose to cover, cover only the top with plywood, tarp or what ever just to keep excess water from getting in. Keep the rest of the stack open to allow air to pass through and dry your wood.

IE>
show_image.php
<--- not my wood just an example, I prefer wood on top

Personally I only cover the pile I am burning from or the next pile as I get near the end. Again I just cover the top to keep water out. The majority of my wood stay open all year.

I tarp mine before the fall rains come. I prefer to let the sun shine right on the wood during the summer.

I do the same and if we get a few sunny days in the fall, I'll take the tarp off to let the air get at it.

Yeah, me too. I don't even mind the snow on the wood too much. It's the freezing rain that got me 2 years ago! 1/4-1/2 inch of ice on everything! That sucked!

Depends how much you like piddling around I suppose. The best thing is to put the wood in a barn or under a lean to. A tarp keeps the wood moist imo and leads to mold and rot. Plywood over top and plywood you can lean against the sides is good too. The basic concept is isolating the wood away from moisture and water as much as possible. Exposure to sun and wind is another variable to the seasoning process...
Like others have said, a tarp is great if you take it off whenever it's not raining and covering it when it is, if you have the time and patience to piddle...

Depends how much you like piddling around I suppose. The best thing is to put the wood in a barn or under a lean to. A tarp keeps the wood moist imo and leads to mold and rot. Plywood over top and plywood you can lean against the sides is good too. The basic concept is isolating the wood away from moisture and water as much as possible. Exposure to sun and wind is another variable to the seasoning process...
Like others have said, a tarp is great if you take it off whenever it's not raining and covering it when it is, if you have the time and patience to piddle...

Never had a problem with rotten wood by tarping the top of only the next winter's wood at some point in the fall. No one would go out and only put in one only when it rains... that's ridiculous and unnecessary especially if the wood has been drying for a couple years previous.

I've actually had quite a few mold issues from covering wood with a tarp. I suppose it's a good idea when there's snow and the wood is already seasoned, but leaving the wood uncovered or covered with plywood has worked the best for me over the years.

If you choose to cover, cover only the top with plywood, tarp or what ever just to keep excess water from getting in. Keep the rest of the stack open to allow air to pass through and dry your wood.

IE>
show_image.php
<--- not my wood just an example, I prefer wood on top

Personally I only cover the pile I am burning from or the next pile as I get near the end. Again I just cover the top to keep water out. The majority of my wood stay open all year.

:agree2:tom trees

September

I cover mine in September (only the top) I use the thick PVC cover material that flatbed trucks use. I have some stacks still covered from September, I will remove the covers for the Summer to let this Oak get exposed to the sun and wind better.

I've always left the wood stacked and open until late Fall, covering with tarps until snow is no longer a threat in the Spring. I've been thinking about building a shed, though, and wonder if you guys think a shed would be an improvement.

A shed would be the best way to go, open sides or slats with gaps to let the air through.

I just cover the top, andI only will uncover the stack in late fall if a couple of things are happening. First, I have to be worried the wood is still a little green. (Wood I think I may need at the end of winter)
Second, The weatherman has to be predicting at least 3-4 days of sunny/windy weather.

It's really not too much "piddling" around. Now that I'm a year ahead on wood, there should be no worries.

Back