Cover or Uncover?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cover the tops of the stacks. My reasoning is that by the end of this Summer I'll be more than three years ahead on firewood, and I'm more concerned about the wood deteriorating in five years than I am about it seasoning in one. It makes me feel better to look out in the rain and see the firewood stacks staying nice and dry. More importantly, though, I stack all the wood on platforms held off the ground by cinder blocks. I reckon the air being able to circulate underneath ought to compensate a little for the moisture not being able to evaporate right out the top.

Jack

A shed would be the best way to go, open sides or slats with gaps to let the air through.

Thanks, Jam, that's what I figured. On a side note, I used to have a 55 Rancher. Loaned it to a friend who screwed it up. Best as I can figure he used the wrong fuel mix ratio. That was a good saw.

cover or not ?

best thing I ever did was build a roof over the piles . the next best thing was to built slatted walls around it with 1x6 on the inside and the outside built so they were just offset enough to allow good airflow , added bonus was made it tons easier for the kids to stack wood , no more excuses about it will fall over ........ kidneys eh

Thanks, Jam, that's what I figured. On a side note, I used to have a 55 Rancher. Loaned it to a friend who screwed it up. Best as I can figure he used the wrong fuel mix ratio. That was a good saw.

It's a good solid saw, not as fast as pro class saws but a good dependable unit. Maybe some of the folks on the chainsaw forum can help ypu out with that one.

Back