cracked ms880 crankshaft.... really ??????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could also be the result of running a 20" bar at speed (high revs) and abruptly putting it into wood. Causes lots of stress on cranks. We broke more than a few 066 / 660's running short bars and pushing them too hard into wood. Same results, cracked cranks. Pretty sure that's why Stihl went to the poly flywheels later. At least that's what I've heard

20" bar with a standard 7 or 8 pin sprocket cutting limbs with an 880? Thats like continually running the saw with no load at WOT. I agree with nmurph looks like some heat got to that piston im guessing it was running too hot/fast/lean or something along those lines.

yeah i was leaning towards that trail of thought, i was unsure if 20" was a bit small when i got bar, i was trying to just keep revs low and not let it scream but im starting to think it was small bar big saw syndrome so please be advised anyone considering doing it !! saw is definitely not a fake

dont think anything ingested damage to piston is from a fragment that came out of crank.
sunfish when you say a good dealer could pull it off do you mean fix under warranty or just fix ? it might be still under warranty but im not registered owner i bought it off ebay as a brand new saw last year, so can anyone shed some light on how warranty might work ?? i got it in england and live in ireland/ any help greatly appreciated.
I meant if bought from a good dealer, he could probably fix it under warranty. Looks like you are going to have to fix it. Piston looks scored also.

whats cheapest way of getting new crank, i have bearings and gaskets already, crank seems very pricey in places iv looked so far !

Piston looks better in those last photos. But the carbon on the top makes it look like it's been run longer and harder than first described?

Could also be the result of running a 20" bar at speed (high revs) and abruptly putting it into wood. Causes lots of stress on cranks. We broke more than a few 066 / 660's running short bars and pushing them too hard into wood. Same results, cracked cranks. Pretty sure that's why Stihl went to the poly flywheels later. At least that's what I've heard
We run short bars here all the time ,stihl are back to running ally flywheels

i dare you throw it back together and run it :p:givebeer: all jokes aside, that seems to my like something stihl may break down and provide if you email them photo's and tell them the date of purchase. that ain't right for that to happen there. either bad engineering or carbon bubble defects. if they ask you to send them the saw don't do it. if you do everything will be your fault and there will mysteriously be way more wrong with it then you thought. they will probably slap you with a $1000 bill if you opt to pay for the repair and probably still charge you $300 just for the saw being in their presence. the saw will almost certainly be returned as a basket case with several missing parts and fasteners if you choose the later option. if they don't wanna do anything for you marshy has given about the best advice i can think of :D

Wouldnt hurt to email them a pic of the crack and ask them if they would cover the replacement if you ship the crank to them and determine it was a bad casting. It very well could have been a porosity issue. Maybe ask them if they are willing to take the crank only and do a failure analysis. They might ship you a replacement if they find a big void. It wouldnt hurt to make a call first and talk with a customer service rep, get an email address so you can send it directly to a person... I'd try to avoid sending the entire saw, I cant imagine why they would want the entire thing unless they are going to install it or call foul on you.

can anyone give me a contact number im getting nothing from emailing stihl

Looks like corporate does not want to be contacted directly by customers... try this: (757) 486-9100
Its not a cutomer service contact but it might get you in touch with someone....

can anyone give me a contact number im getting nothing from emailing stihl

Being as you say you're in Ireland, not sure if Stihl have an Irish office, so I do know that in the UK there's Stihl Tech Desk on 01276 417640.

thanks dan for tech number, after lots of door knocking, many transfers and being on hold for long periods i have finally got a guy in dublin that is willing to send part to germany for me and see if stihl will do a goodwill gesture. will update you how that goes.
i was thinking if saw was stolen ( i bought new/secondhand off ebay ) will this be flagged and could it backfire on me ? is there a way of checking if saw was stolen before i send off part with serial number ?
oh yeah and interesting fact from stihl..... 880s only have 1 year warranty as they are a 'profesional saw' ???????????? what a con :chop:

thanks dan for tech number, after lots of door knocking, many transfers and being on hold for long periods i have finally got a guy in dublin that is willing to send part to germany for me and see if stihl will do a goodwill gesture. will update you how that goes.
i was thinking if saw was stolen ( i bought new/secondhand off ebay ) will this be flagged and could it backfire on me ? is there a way of checking if saw was stolen before i send off part with serial number ?
oh yeah and interesting fact from stihl..... 880s only have 1 year warranty as they are a 'profesional saw' ???????????? what a con :chop:
2years here,if its not used for business,well it was when i got my 660 &880

Latest posts

Back