cracked ms880 crankshaft.... really ??????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is where a good relationship with your dealer really comes into play. You may spend a couple more $, but it usually pays off. I purchase most of my parts and saws and oil from my local dealer . An oddball problem like a broken crank would be close to a non issue if you dealer would vouch for you . I had crank, piston , and cylinder replaced 1 year out of warranty on a 361. It looked like a bomb went off inside the saw. The pin froze in the piston and it went downhill from there . The saw looked like new when cleaned up.dealer sent stihl some photos and got a call the next day. Dealer told them that it was a well maintained saw and there was no evidence of operator error and he went on to say how I have purchased 6 pieces of equipment in the last year. Stihl had no problem covering the repair . If it was under warranty I would have gotten a brand new power head . Your dealer has more pull than most when it comes to these things. Support your locals it's nice to be able to pick up parts the day you need them and a little help when you need it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that's what it looks like. pre-weakend from the factory?!

Maybe a controled failure point... but then again, it might not have failed if it had the same cross section as the other side... but the inverse of that would be a catastrophic failure lol.

Dont think its something to get all worked up over myself it seems to have made your day? :dizzy:, obviously they made it like that for a reason, what that is who knows Im no scientist/engineer myself , could it be stronger possibly I guess :confused:....

Im not all worked up about anything, just pointing out that it would in fact be stronger if it had the same amount of material as the other side. Im just guessing when I said it could have been a designed failure point because I dont really see any other reason for it to exist. It doesnt matter in the end, it still broke and its not like Stihl will change it... Just make me wonder what some of the design engineers were thinking...

hi just joined to express my sadness and surprise at a cracked crank shaft casting. has anyone encountered this before ? its a 2012 ms880 and although i have milled a bit of timber with it, i still think of it as a very little used saw, ive never abused it im very diligent in my mixes and maintenance, and when it actually cracked (scored piston, hit spark plug and stalled) i was cutting small limbs with 20" bar. i have run a 60" bar on it before but not that often and i fail to see how any kind of use or even abuse could damage a saw in this way. i thought originally it was shaft bearings that were gone (still surprising considering its only 2 years old) but when i stripped it i discovered crack and nearly wept :cry::cry:
i emailed stihl weeks ago with pics and a strong complaint but have received nothing in the way of a response
would love some opinions and or experiences. i imagine i will end up rebuilding at my own cost by the looks of the non response from stihl ?
great site by the way i may be young but i have hundreds of years of knowledge thanks to this site:chainsaw::clap:View attachment 344126 View attachment 344127 View attachment 344128
so, what was the outcome? did you replace the shaft? or have a machinist work on it?

Back