Craftsman Ranger

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard C

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Greetings, I just went into the garage, there between the 30 Ford and the 66 Riviera I found my first Chainsaw. Its a Craftsman Ranger. In the manual the mixture is 8oz 30w motor oil to 1gal gas. Can I, do you know, use 2 cycle oil and what would be the mix? Thanks Richard

By the way I think I bought it in the late 60's

Last edited:
I usually like to run mine at 24:1 which is about what it calls out on yours. A little extra fouling on a plug is better than an overheating and scoring piston.:greenchainsaw:

Wouldn't 24:1 be less lube than 16:1, which if I'm not mistaken is, 8oz per 1 gal?
Not trying to be a wise-azz, just hate to see it burn up.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for coming by. Do you have one of these older saws?
I bought this saw new and did a lot of cutting with when I first moved into the forest. Now its one of 7 saws but I'd like to heat it up and see if it remembers.

I don't have any older saws, though I wouldn't mind. I would like to see pics of the Buick!

Last edited:
Wouldn't 24:1 be less lube than 16:1, which if I'm not mistaken is, 8oz per 1 gal?
Not trying to be a wise-azz, just hate to see it burn up.

well, 16:1 would be better as far as keeping it from burning up. I thought that 8oz per gallon was 24:1 but I guess not?

I could be wrong, math isn't a strong point.

I'm sure not many are responding to this thread because these threads about modern 2 stroke oil in old saws come up all the time But If you want to use your modern 2 stroke oil you will have no trouble, even if you run it at a 40:1 or 50:1 mix because the modern oil it much better that the straight 30W was back when your saw was new.

Dont forget to retune the carb to get the saw running right again on the new fuel. But once you do it will probably run better that it use to and you wont have the headache of having to run a differnt can than your modern saws

P.S. Id like to see the picturess of the riviera too. My father had a '66 when I was a little kid. Now he has a '31 ford:rock:

I'm sure not many are responding to this thread because these threads about modern 2 stroke oil in old saws come up all the time But If you want to use your modern 2 stroke oil you will have no trouble, even if you run it at a 40:1 or 50:1 mix because the modern oil it much better that the straight 30W was back when your saw was new.

Dont forget to retune the carb to get the saw running right again on the new fuel. But once you do it will probably run better that it use to and you wont have the headache of having to run a differnt can than your modern saws

P.S. Id like to see the picturess of the riviera too. My father had a '66 when I was a little kid. Now he has a '31 ford:rock:

I could be wrong, but I'm thinking actual 2-stroke specific oil became available in the mid fifties. Before that people used 30w,50w,"burnt cylinder oil",or just whatever was available.
Igpoe

Greetings, The Owners manual has no date on it. As I mentioned I bought the saw no earler that 1968. I didn't hear of 2 cycle until years later.
Before that, and before the Jap bikes, there was the "DOT" an off road bike, they used 30w also. When I was riding bike, Matchless and Triumph were the cats meow and they were 4stroke.
I am a Journeyman Mechanic, the only 2 strokes I worked on were Detroit Diesel. The guys on this forum have an understanding of these sump breathers and with their help I was able to take my 034 down to nothing and get it hopping.
Anyhooh! 2 stroke Oil is was not always there. Wish I had thought of it. Some oils are better than others but oil be oil don't it?

So you gonna run modern 2 stroke oil in it?

Well! I want to, I am concerned about the ratio! Would like to talk to someone who has done it.
ray benson has a thread about craftsman with a link. I clicked on the link and typed in the model # 917.351270 and up came parts break down of this saw.
I will from now on use Stihl or Husky in my saws.

Richard,
I've been running Amsoil Sabre at 16-1 in all my old saws now for three years with very little smoke and no problems. Lately I've upped the ante and ran some 40s and 50s models at 24-1 with zero smoke and no problems,so I'll likely try 32-1 before too long. I used to think people wouldn't understand at the shows I demonstrate at why there was no smoke, but nary a question so far. Sometimes I think they're just attracted to the loud noise.
IMHO if your saw calls for 30w at 16-1, it'll run clean and cool forever with modern 2 cycle oil mixes at 24-1,whether synthetic or dino.
Igpoe:cheers:

igpoe, Thats kinda what I wanted to hear. Someone who is running old machines and their mix. Next time we leave the hill to shop I'll look at modern 2 stroke oil with a buying eye. Who sells Amsoil? I'd like to know more about the demos you do!

The Bible did not produce the Church, The Church produced the Bible.

Last edited:
igpoe, Thats kinda what I wanted to hear. Someone who is running old machines and their mix. Next time we leave the hill to shop I'll look at modern 2 stroke oil with a buying eye. Who sells Amsoil? I'd like to know more about the demos you do!

The Bible did not produce the Church, The Church produced the Bible.

Amsoil dealers are can be found within a reasonable distance of your home I'm sure. Their website should inform. It's everywhere. But it ain't cheap: 8oz.= $4
Myself and some friends in the area attend various old machinery and "heritage" festivals in this region and we take parts of our collections to demonstrate how they were used when they were early in development on through until practically modern times except we don't fell trees. The attendees enjoy the 2-man saws quite a bit and we show how bowsaws are used in relation to pulpwood cutting. With the more modern saws we practically race each other and this allows the older saws to rest and cool off mostly. I answer the questions from old-timers,kids,pretty girls and give away the cookies to those who imagine they're gonna be made into something neat.
Run a search here for Halifax County Heritage Festival to see some video of us at the local show. Next one will be in early May I assume.
Igpoe (Dean):cheers:
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=57038899 Video of me trying to explain about some old saws(spur of moment unrehearsed embarassing)

Last edited:
Back