Craigslist 026 score!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Answered a CL ad for a Stihl 026. Guy said it was his grandfather's saw and hasn't ran in years. He took it out of his basement and tried to start it with no luck. I met him today and looked it over. The piston and cylinder looked awesome! Compression was just under 150lbs. Muffler was very clean! I threw a new plug in it dumped out the old fuel and added fresh mix. The old fuel didn't smell nasty so not sure if it was stored with fuel or not. Tank looked spotless! It popped on about the 8th pull and started on the next! I let it warm up and gave it some throttle. No wood to try it in at the truck stop we met at. It bogged at full throttle. I shut it down and said ill take it then gave him his asking price of $75! It has an 18" bar with a .325 chain an a case! Did I do good?:D View attachment 302147View attachment 302148View attachment 302149

You well deserve a YOU SUCK!!!

Enjoy a great little saw.

I was lookin at that saw...was spooked by the price..damn you got lucky..congrats ! :msp_thumbsup:

Ya I was also but when I talked to the guy and he told me the history of the saw I thought it was worth a look! So I told him I was going to take the muffler off and check the p/c and check the compression. I also told him I was bringing a new plug and fresh mix. He was ok with all of that and we both were excited when it popped! He said wow I haven't heard that in quite a while. He has another saw he's selling and I'm looking into that one also just not sure on it! Wish he would have brought it along with the 026. We live over an hour from each other and he drove half way to meet me!

Ya I was also but when I talked to the guy and he told me the history of the saw I thought it was worth a look! So I told him I was going to take the muffler off and check the p/c and check the compression. I also told him I was bringing a new plug and fresh mix. He was ok with all of that and we both were excited when it popped! He said wow I haven't heard that in quite a while. He has another saw he's selling and I'm looking into that one also just not sure on it! Wish he would have brought it along with the 026. We live over an hour from each other and he drove half way to meet me!

Good deal my friend..i just bought a 10mm 044 for 100 bucks that blew 160..just a little rough on the outside but runs great !..your in white oak..we have a big wood cuttin party at the guffey club every october..about ten minutes from you !

There must be something in the air in PA. I just scored the same exact deal last week. $75! You gotta be quick when they come up, they don't last long.

Good deal my friend..i just bought a 10mm 044 for 100 bucks that blew 160..just a little rough on the outside but runs great !..your in white oak..we have a big wood cuttin party at the guffey club every october..about ten minutes from you !

Awesome keep me posted when it is and I bet I could bring a couple buddy's and my two sons out! Check out the Western PA Get together thread. It was a blast back in April and we have another one planned for August! If I remember correct I think I saw that you posted a message on that thread.

Last edited:
Great find. There was an unused MS361 for sale up here on CL and the serial number checked out to the guy's story. They do come along every once in a while.

I'm in central Pa. I would like to come to some gtg that are close. Can you Pa guys fill me in?

Oh and nice saw. I have an 026. I will never get rid of it.

I've got about $400 into my MS260 and there's no way I'll ever let it go!!! I've since had 3 others and I'm looking for another but my first sweety ain't going nowhere!

I'm in central Pa. I would like to come to some gtg that are close. Can you Pa guys fill me in?

Oh and nice saw. I have an 026. I will never get rid of it.
I've haven't seen anything on here about a PA get together. I'd be interested if there was one.

Where you from redfin?

I have a camp up at Prince Galitzen and used to drive through Cresson before 219 opened up.

Right on. I like to fish that lake. I have cut wood in the park with my buddy and his fil.

Didn't know you were permitted to cut wood in the park? Do you need a permit or anything?

I know you need a permit. I have never pulled one myself, just have cut with my buddy.

Back