Craigslist laughs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am no expert, but I sort of disagree with your reasoning's of why you should mix in green wood. When burning green wood a lot of your energy is wasted just trying to get the wood dry enough to burn. When burning green wood the hottest you can get is a little over 212* the boiling point of water, once the water is driven off, the temperature will climb.

If consumption rate of fuel is your concern, cut the air supply.

Here is an email from my last Craigslist person after I told him that I would be there tomorrow to take down a medium sized red oak in his backyard.

"yes, that's fine. while you're here, if u wouldn't mind cutting down some dogwoods & some off my magnolia & mulberry trees in the back that u can easily reach from the ground, i'd like u to do that, too. u can have any & all of the wood that u cut from those, too.
i also have some limbs hanging over my house from some kinda tree,i need you to climb up there and trim them back.my neighbor wants her litle trees trimmed in her yard next door, i told her that u wood do it for me.or i'll borrow your utility chainsaw & cut it up myself if u can just get it on the ground for me. thanks!
and my freind says that u can grind the stumps down to the ground with your chainsaw,just use a old chain and wash your saw with a garden hose real good to get the dirt out.is that okay?"

I am thinking that maybe this job is going to be a hassle, full of "whileuratits"
Wash my saw?I think not!Loan you my saw?I think not!
That bloke must be joking how stupid does he think you are stump grind with your saw and then lend him your saw and your utility 2 things I never lend 1 saw 2 utility that guy has got more front than Walmart

I am no expert, but I sort of disagree with your reasoning's of why you should mix in green wood. When burning green wood a lot of your energy is wasted just trying to get the wood dry enough to burn. When burning green wood the hottest you can get is a little over 212* the boiling point of water, once the water is driven off, the temperature will climb.

If consumption rate of fuel is your concern, cut the air supply.

LET ME START OFF BY SAYING THAT I'M A SOON TO RETIRE ARMY GUY. I BURN WITH A WOODMASTER OUTDOOR FURNACE...IT'S OPTIMUM HEAT VARIES BETWEEN 15O AND 170 DEGREES...IE: THAT'S THE TEMP IT HOLDS...SO, WITH THAT BEING SAID, IT REALLY DOESNT MATTER WHEN IT COMES TO EFFFICIANCY? IT THERMOSTATICALLY CONTROLS AND HOLDS SAID TEMPERATURE FOR OPTIMUM EFFICIANCY? I CAN RUN BOTH SHOWERS, THE DISH WASHER, AND WASHING MACHINE...BURNING BOTH/EITHER GREEN, DRY OR DEAD FIREWOOD...OR, ANY MIX THERE-OF. IT'S ALL GOOD METHINKS? THE FALACY THAT FOLKS LIKE TO SHAKE-IT-UP ABOUT LOADING IT IN THE MIDDLY OF THE NIGHT IS NOTHING MORE THAN A GIANT BUCKET FULL OF HORSE PU**Y. :) I LOVE MY FURNACE. HAD IT A YEAR NOW AND IT HAS REDUCED MY HEAT BILL BY 2/3RDS MONTHLY..., AND I GET A 24HR BURN TIME TOO? WHAT GIVES? AND IT'S IN AN ALL ELECTRIC MANUFACTURED HOME?...THAT'S WHAT UNCLE SAM AFFORDS ME TO BE ABLE TO BUY LOL :) NO INSIDE MESS, AND NO INDOOR FIRE HAZARD? YOU DONT NEED THAT MAGICAL WATER BOIL POINT WHEN 170 DEGREES IS MORE THAN ADEQUATE TO HEAT EVERY WATER FUNCTION IN YOUR HOME AND PROVIDE THIRD DEGREE BURNS...UNLESS YOU WANA BOIL EGGS I GUESS?

And, a solid referral for a shrink would be welcome coming from an individual like you brother...after spending 20+years defending your right to express your opinions protected under YOUR first amendment is GREATLY appreciated by me and my ilk...and, just out of curiosity, what have you done for your country lately...besides run your mouth on an online forum?...where you hide behind your quaint vernacular??? thanks again my fellow brother. I'm sure you garnered a smile or two from some other similar liberals. Have a nice day.

this is where I kill my script to an online forum that caters to self proclaimed ppl that pretend to heat with wood. burning wood in the burbs does not constitute at all my brethren. bragging about how you scored a huge pos tree in a neighbors yard in the burbs doesn't count?...pat yourself on the back ok? try clearing acres of oak, hickory, hedge, locust and things of that nature once...try growing up in the hills of the Ozarks. check a true btu chart. and while your at it, poke a hole in a commie with a 5.56mm projectile brothers :). yes, I'm through on here. not worth my time after Mr. Bill Nye the science guy had to make himself be known. Guess what tho, my home is toasty warm, and we don't run outa hot water either? Ask Mr. Nye about that sh*t? ha-ha! and I use about 4 cords a year. 6 counting what I burn in the summer to heat my water.

@Platoon Daddy, if you're going to stick with that attitude you can feel free to stay gone. It'll make my moderating job easier. You're welcome to stay, of course, but you're gonna have to stop with insulting other members on here, or I'll make sure the door latches behind you on the way out.

Feel free to shoot a conversation my way if you'd like to discuss it privately, but any more tirades in public will get my delete/warn/ban buttons some exercise. I don't believe Millbilly or LegDeLimber meant anything personally, although I could see the shrink comment being taken that way.

Millbilly is also correct. Heating the water INSIDE your firebox (the moisture in the wood needs to boil off before the wood it's in will burn) is energy that's not being used to heat the water SURROUNDING your firebox, therefore it's just wasted energy.

This one isn't firewood but the guy likely had wood at some point. I think it should be worth $600?
$500 Home Depot Gift Card
Date Listed 12-Dec-13
Price $500.00
Address Kitchener, ON N2A 1E1, Canada
View map
Purchased a Home Depot gift card that I will no longer be using. Looking to sell for $500. Price is firm, please do not message if you will be offering less.

Hah, that reminds me, several years ago I went back to take some college classes and one of them required a work book, it was about $100.00. I knew a kid at work had just taken the class so I asked him if he wanted to sell his book. He said, "sure I will let you have it for what I gave for it..."
I said are you nuts, I can buy a new one for that, how about $25.00. I bought the book, I don't know what he was thinking, it was a book you actually write in and he had made some notes before he dropped the class.

Steve,

You seem like a reasonable fellow, and I do appreciate you breaking out the big chief tablet and crayons to get your point across for me. But when others jump on your band wagon to kick a guy when he's down simply to ride on your shirt tails, well that kinda speaks volumes for your readers/contributors. If you do feel the need to "exercise" your moderator button, then feel free to do so brother...cuz I evidently am in dire need of a good slapping as one of your cronies so eloquently put it? And maybe I was the guy that invented that sloping back cut and blamed it on a farmer...but then again, I tend to own my mistakes. That's what we call INTEGRITY in my occupational field. I used to visit this site periodically a year or so ago simply for a good laugh or maybe a point or two that I could share with peers to either help with efficiency or safety. Doesn't much seem to be the case anymore though. The original post that I referenced was a guy from my geographical location complaining because he was sold some green wood and couldn't get it to burn. I simply tried to assist him with suggestions to get it to burn without having to wait a year or so for it to cure? Were all on a budget, or I am anyhow, so investment in fuel that doesnt keep my kids warm now is a waste of funds so to speak. So chief, if you feel the overbearing desire to bar me from this forum based on my defensive responses that attacked my intellectual level then I guess that's a fair deal on your part brother. I mean hell, we cant all demonstrate PHD's in the new up and coming profession of pyrotechnics and scoutmaster badges for fire building...I simply cut my proverbial "teeth" on heating an old turn of the century two story farm house with firewood being the sole source of heat...and you could actually feel the drafts blow through the farmhouse on a cold January night. Again, I profusely apologize for offending you, or any of your readers that took offense to the cynicism I demonstrated...except for the "slap" comment and those of similar ilk...those were uncalled for. I mean hell, at one point I even offered to host a benefit wood cutting outing for troops in my unit that are less fortunate, going so far as to offer my services to have a fish fry or deer chillie supper as a means of appreciation since there are guys in my location that could definitely benefit from said charity. I'm actually a disable vet suffering from a partial foot amputation, but that doesn't stop me from running my Sachs Dolmar. So, bar me if that's what makes you feel like youre doing your job dude.

Respectfully,

SFC (RET) Timothy R. Vaughn

PD, I don't see where I insulted your intelligence. Lots of smart people are wrong, on a fairly regular basis. I also don't see, or need, anyone riding my shirt tails. All it does is stretch my shirt out.

I'm quite certain that in your time in the military you have met people you disagree with, and even dislike. This is a public forum, and many of those same types will be here as well. Most often, it's best to just respectfully disagree with them, or ignore them all together. Arguing or name calling just drags you down to their level. (For a million examples of this, simply visit the Political forum :mad: )

FYI, classing everyone here as recreational weekend burners is a big mistake on your part. There are some, but there are also a bunch of guys that have been cutting wood to stay warm all their lives, much like you. Some could teach you a thing or two, and likely there are some tricks we could learn from you as well.

Kudos to you for offering to help your fellow soldiers, and might I suggest checking out http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/oklahoma-ar-mo-ks-tx-gtg.158438/unread - fast forward to the end and introduce yourself, unless you've got time to read 1138 pages - there are guys there that host a charity cut, and likely some that would help with one you put on as well. We do similar up here in WI as well, and it's the most fun I have with a chainsaw.

What am I saying? There's still a ton of good on this forum, and if everyone, myself included, kept from posting stuff they wouldn't say in front of their momma, I wouldn't have to do anything but read here. I'd be fine with that. Just try having a little more positive attitude, even I get fed up from time to time and want to rip people a new one. It's better just to walk away for a while then.

Gotta go, my crayon's down to a stub. :laugh:

yeah...crayons don't last that long brother...even the fat ones, especially when scribing on those big chief tabs. one should invest in sharpies methinks lol. at any rate, you've got a decent sense of humor and that's pretty hard to find these days. what with thin skinned ppl and so forth, and yes I resemble that remark from time to time. please accept my humble apology and have a wonderful week my friend. we are cut from a bit different cloth down here in the stix of the Ozarks and I'm sure you've patrons on here that will politely disagree as well lol. but then again I doubt that they've experienced some of the life challenges that folks like me have endured. I took advise from a local patron from carthage regarding my dolmar and was quite pleased...ignored another northern gentleman regarding my efco and was equally pleased with it...not his opinion though. your site has boons and banes...one just has to cypher through the personal opinions. I hadn't realized that I had swore or offended the common reader, but if I did please accept my most sincere apology...and, as stated previously, feel free to ban/bar me. I doubt that I will lose sleep either way. cheers :) and btw, that old farm house I was referring to was the one I grew up in. my momma used to wrap sandstone in newspaper heating it in the hearth of the fireplace to stick in the foot of my bed to keep my feet warm at night while sleeping. have you ever heard of doing such a thing? and yes, I have friends and associates that still live that rough dude. hence the comments about the socialites that live in the burbs burning a bit of ambience to humor mamma ok?

Steve,

You seem like a reasonable fellow..........I mean hell, at one point I even offered to host a benefit wood cutting outing for troops in my unit that are less fortunate, going so far as to offer my services to have a fish fry or deer chillie supper as a means of appreciation since there are guys in my location that could definitely benefit from said charity.

Steve NW WI is very reasonable. Mr. Vaughn, thank you for your service and your sacrifice. I respect and appreciate every drop of blood, sweat, and tears you shed for our freedom. I also know there are many families and friends yearning for their loved ones who gave it all. Words cannot express my sympathy or my gratitude for them.

I have one question for you though. When is the Charity Cut for your Brothers-in-Arms? If I can come, I will be there, even if it is just me and you. I loves me some charity cuts; and veterans too. Been to 2 already in Sept. and Oct. and going to a 3rd on 1/11/14 (weather permitting). Post it in the forum Steve recommended. Just don't hold it against me for living in the burbs burning a little ambience for mamma. It does throw off a little heat too. Just can't afford a nice insert at the moment. Peace

I do love the diagrams...

Just picked up a strong 60cc Craftsman with a 16 inch Oregon bar and sharp chain for $50 from Craig's list. I'll be laughing all the way into the woods tomorrow.

if gas was free and i was gonna live forever, i'd go pick up everyone's slash, rotting piles of wood and branches and spread them out in the forest around my house. it'd be the best mulched tree garden you'd ever seen. They'd call me the king of nitrogen, potassium and phosphorus. Unfortunately gas is not free so they're gonna have to chip or burn that crap themselves.

Back