Craigslist Ugly Spray-painted 046/066?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks like a fugly 440 to me. And an abused service saw at that. The pictures alone make me think it needs some serious attention. Forget about removing the paint, and a 2hr drive, I'd pass. Something else will come along, be patient. "Free", that's the only reason I'd drive 2hrs for that saw.

That looks like a fugly 440 to me. And an abused service saw at that. The pictures alone make me think it needs some serious attention. Forget about removing the paint, and a 2hr drive, I'd pass. Something else will come along, be patient. "Free", that's the only reason I'd drive 2hrs for that saw.

It's not a 440 because it doesn't have flippies. The 440 and 460 were cursed with the flippy caps and since this saw doesn't have them, it isn't those models. The MS660 doesn't have flippies though.

It's not a 440 because it doesn't have flippies. The 440 and 460 were cursed with the flippy caps and since this saw doesn't have them, it isn't those models. The MS660 doesn't have flippies though.

It's an 066.

Touche. It seems more appealing today, maybe if he came down on price ...

Like JJ said it is an 066 flat top ,wanting to be a mac by the yellow on it ,may get lucky and be able to get the yellow off with some paint stripper ,it is not an 064 because it has the wider recoil starter cover

If it is just regular rattle can spray paint carb cleaner will take it right off and it won't have much of an effect on the plastic and factory paint.

I cannot see any way to make money off a saw in that condition. I wouldn't even project how many hours it would take to get the paint and overspray off and then you have to refinish or replace the plastics. I wouldn't try it even if it is running condition. That's one of those projects that will nickel and dime you into poverty.
It would be a GOOD User saw . Wish it was around here!

I made it a double trip. I visited the Angel Oak Tree which is on John's island, and I also stopped by to see the saw which was only a few minutes away.

I came very prepared. I brought a PSI tester to check the compression, and I also came with my drill and a T25. I checked out the cylinder, and took off the chain/bar to check the bottom end (I don't know my chainsaw terms, but for dirt bikes we say top and bottom end) It was a bit lose, but that super bad.
Saw started and ran, but seems like it lacked power, or needed the carb high end tweeked.

PSI was at 90 or so...

Chain-brake needs to be replaced. Side cover also in bad shape, but usable.

Oiler works.

I made it a double trip. I visited the Angel Oak Tree which is on John's island, and I also stopped by to see the saw which was only a few minutes away.

I came very prepared. I brought a PSI tester to check the compression, and I also came with my drill and a T25. I checked out the cylinder, and took off the chain/bar to check the bottom end (I don't know my chainsaw terms, but for dirt bikes we say top and bottom end) It was a bit lose, but that super bad.
Saw started and ran, but seems like it lacked power, or needed the carb high end tweeked.

PSI was at 90 or so...

Chain-brake needs to be replaced. Side cover also in bad shape, but usable.

Oiler works.
The piston looked good and it only has 90psi?

If it ran at all w/ 90 psi compression and no scoring on the piston, the rings are probably in bad shape. I believe your compression guage is suspect but at least you know it can run. Congrats....

Boy that thing is ugly! Wonder what that guy was thinking when he painted it?!?!?

Hope you get it running like a top. Congrats on the find!

What is the proper way to compression test?

Yes the rings are a bit lose. They have a lot of up and down play.
Does your compression tester have a Schrader valve on the tip that threads into the spark plug hole?

The method is simple, keep pulling the cord until the needle stops climbing.

Back