Crank Seal Replacement on Stihl 025.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agarb

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just got done putting a new P & C on a nice little Stihl 025 I stole off of Craig's list (complete with bar and chain for $25!). I reused the old seals but found the flywheel side seal leaking when I pressure/vacuum tested it prior to reassembly. I can’t decide whether or not to break the engine back open or to take it to a local dealer who has the special tools to replace it. How much is a reasonable fee to pay my dealer to do this? The only one I called wants $40 plus parts which I thought was a little steep. Is there any easy way to do this with normal household tools without splitting the case?

around here thats a deal
my rule of thumb is if you think it's too much for someone else to repair it for you, repair it your self..

Last edited:
I just got done putting a new P & C on a nice little Stihl 025 I stole off of Craig's list (complete with bar and chain for $25!). I reused the old seals but found the flywheel side seal leaking when I pressure/vacuum tested it prior to reassembly. I can’t decide whether or not to break the engine back open or to take it to a local dealer who has the special tools to replace it. How much is a reasonable fee to pay my dealer to do this? The only one I called wants $40 plus parts which I thought was a little steep. Is there any easy way to do this with normal household tools without splitting the case?
If you can't part with $40.00 for a proper job, you need therapy my friend.

The closest dealer to me, when I asked for a price, told me to use a screw driver and rip it out, his price quote was $10, so I took it to him. He used the screw driver trick and charged me $0. That was an MS 260, difference?

JMO

Just pull the motor and remove the METAL crank case and pull the seals off and replace with new seals

Site sponsor Northwood Saw has them you might be surprised about how much they cost; double click on there logo on the top of the page and find out what it cost

I have a MS 250 that I'm running with Northwood Saw seals and I haven't had any problems with it; this MS 250 is my aftermarket special everything on this saw is aftermarket parts p/c; seals; coil; air cleaner; hoses; fuel filters etc. :msp_wink:

I just want to see how long it last :msp_biggrin:

JMO

Just pull the motor and remove the METAL crank case and pull the seals off and replace with new seals

Site sponsor Northwood Saw has them you might be surprised about how much they cost; double click on there logo on the top of the page and find out what it cost

I have a MS 250 that I'm running with Northwood Saw seals and I haven't had any problems with it; this MS 250 is my aftermarket special everything on this saw is aftermarket parts p/c; seals; coil; air cleaner; hoses; fuel filters etc. :msp_wink:

I just want to see how long it last :msp_biggrin:

Probably a long time!

There are two different seals for this repair, one if you pull and replace the seal with the engine intact, the other one is for when you have the engine apart.

Thanks for all the feedback. I do have the part numbers for both style of seals. I'll probably just split the engine and put in new (aftermarket) seals myself. I haven't reassembled the saw; just bolted it together and left the Dirko cure before pressure testing. That's partly why I thought $40 labor was too much. Sorry if I offended anybody for complaining about dealer prices...

Naw, it's just that the chain saw tech's cost of living is just as high as the Porshe tech's......

Hell, if I had it to do over again, I would have gotten into boat motor repair!!!!

When I lived on Beaver Lake @ 10 years ago, a neighbor had a problem with his pontoon boat motor, I came down, looked at it, said it needed a head gasket. The only way that I would do it is if he limped it to the boat dock and put it on a trailer and brought it to me. He, being a neighbor, didn't want to spend any more than he had to, so I gave him a few local kid's phone numbers, as I explained that they would either have to lean over and work on it upside down, or else hop in the lake and work on it that way, and I am to old and fat to really want to do that.

So I left him to it, with the numbers and all, ran into him a few weeks later, asked him about it.

"Man........! I called the local boat dealer, told him that you said it needed a head gasket, he sent a kid out that afternoon", he said....

"I stopped in the next day to pay the bill, it was over $1,200 !!!!"

I couldn't stop laughing, said that I would have done it for under $100 or less, but didn't want to hear you whine about me overcharging you
the rest of our lives!!!!!!!!!

Literally, that head had 10-12 bolts, maybe a 20 minute job, even was pre-diagnosed for them!!!!!

Latest posts

Back