Creepy crallys while wood cutting (pics)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's why it's so much better to cut in winter time

Here in VA, we have some big wolf spiders. I have seen some around my crawl space about 2" maybe 2-1/2" but there harmless. They're creepy, but at least they run away and don't bite like those nasty brown recluse. I feel for you folks down south.

Here in VA, we have some big wolf spiders. I have seen some around my crawl space about 2" maybe 2-1/2" but there harmless. They're creepy, but at least they run away and don't bite like those nasty brown recluse. I feel for you folks down south.

I was going to say, that looks alot like the wolf spiders we have here:

wolf_spider.jpg

I put my boot on one day (that was in my house, not outside) and felt something like a large rock or big wood chip and was trying to get it to move out from under my toe. I finally took my shoe off and a wolf spider about the size of the spider pictured by the OP fell out and was still moving around. Gave me the heevie geevies for the rest of that day.

I have also seen tarantulas with bodies bigger than my fist and legs reaching out 12" - 14" in diameter when I used to live in Tucson. Lots of black widows out there too.

That spider would look even better in the middle of a bootprint and twice its original size.

I'm with you there, man. It'd be the same volume as it was originally, but it would be twice the surface area for sure...

Spiders (except for black widows) have never bothered me. If one is in the house, I usually scoop them in a cup and usher them out. I kind of like the jumping spiders with their inquisitive monkey faces. The pest variety of bugs (flies, roaches, termites, etc) are sentenced to death on sight, but most spiders are too beneficial for me to just stomp them.

Haha you guys crack me up, huntsmans are that common over here, and they really are pretty harmless, the really don't bite unless stirred up and it takes a bit I'm not keen on spiders, but don't worry too much when i see these out the bush,
Far less harmfull than a brown recluse/mouse spider/wolf spider/red back/white tail/trap door - yea we get most of these.

As for the original post i woulda just swept him off with some bark and kept cutting - he has got taste you gotta admit.
My wife used to pick them up bare handed and put them outside - when she was wearing a singlet - i'm not that brave.

One time i was driving home in the dark and saw something on the roof near the sun visor out the corner of my eye, grabbed the 6d mag lite to illuminate it so i wouldn't lose it as i was nearly home - just as i was coming to my driveway he landed on my neck - got outta that car and disrobed pretty quick i can say!! Would have liked to be a bystander!

At the current place we had a few white tails when we moved in - these things don't have webs and supposedly have a nasty bacteria that can cause skin necrosis - flesh eating if you like, theyre only little and like getting in bedding and clothes on the floor etc, woke up one morning and felt a slight tickle near my groin region - missus was still asleep so i carefully got wondering and pulled back the sheets to find one on the matress between my legs - heart paused for a moment that morning as i bounced out of bed swatting at myself wife woke up and thought i was posssed - no damage luckily:greenchainsaw:

We call them wood spiders here in FL. At least here in Zephyrhills, FL.

They bite like crazy but do not have poison so they just aggrevate the snot of you!

They are in small places and when you reach in to do something, they are biting at once.

I don't like spiders but at least they are not deadly. The stupid brown recluse and brown/black/red widows down here are insane. Especially the widows. They are everywhere!
All spiders are poisonous. It's the only way they kill.

The Huntsmans are a great spider and the only one I tolerate. We have a few residential ones living inside our house and they are welcome to stay. When they're around I've tended to find less of the more "messy" spiders that build webs in corners etc. I've never seen them in beds or clothing (unlike the Whitetail Spiders) and they take a fair bit of provoking to bite you. I've been bitten a few times as a kid by tormenting them and got nothing more than a rude shock, some slight stinging, and a small white lump for half an hour.
I had one land on my face the other week that was a big one when I was pulling the bark off of a dead Bluegum in Tasmania. Although I s#*t my pants and swore a tad I brushed him off (very briskly) and let him go on his way.
These are one of the GOOD spiders as far as I'm concerned. I'm the first one to nail any of the nastier, fangy species.

Don't care for spiders but generally leave them alone unless Widows. We have recluse here but also 10 other spider that look similar so I leave all those alone.

I was cutting a rotten log once in boots and shorts(yeah I know :)), Cut one block and kicked it forward with my boot, something moved under the leaves that were piled against the log. Thinking it was a mouse, I applied brake and used the tip of the saw to push the movement aside for the next cut. 22" copperhead poked his snout at me! It was in a yard with kids all around so I freed the brake, revved saw and applied the chain--- damned chain threw the thing around the calf of my bare leg!!!!! I danced a bit and finished the snake off with a maul to the head.

I generally never kill snakes but a hot snake around family homes is a no go. Either remove them to the mountain or kill and show family for identification and knowledge of future problems.

2Door

Don't care for spiders but generally leave them alone unless Widows. We have recluse here but also 10 other spider that look similar so I leave all those alone.

I was cutting a rotten log once in boots and shorts(yeah I know :)), Cut one block and kicked it forward with my boot, something moved under the leaves that were piled against the log. Thinking it was a mouse, I applied brake and used the tip of the saw to push the movement aside for the next cut. 22" copperhead poked his snout at me! It was in a yard with kids all around so I freed the brake, revved saw and applied the chain--- damned chain threw the thing around the calf of my bare leg!!!!! I danced a bit and finished the snake off with a maul to the head.

I generally never kill snakes but a hot snake around family homes is a no go. Either remove them to the mountain or kill and show family for identification and knowledge of future problems.

2Door

Good policy. I like your thinking.

You should have been there as I visited friends with a live cpooerhead in a bucket so their kids could safely learn what to be on the watch for!!!! LOL!!

Lucky I didn't get get shot but the kids seemed to appreciate the lesson. I used to keep some photos of the after effects of a bit in the dash of the truck just to make my point clear. :)

I explained it to my little girl like getting your foot ran over by a truck. 'Nuff said LOL!

We kept Colubrids as pets so they know the difference between a pet "inside" snake and a wild "outside" snake. They give the ones outside a wide berth and come and get me for the id.

2door

Latest posts

Back