Creosote

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluefin650

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of this recipe to break down creosote?
1lb Iodized Salt
1lb Baking Powder
1lb Baking Soda
Mix and toss in a couple of tablespoons during your burn.

i've read here a few times from people claiming throwing a handfull of salt on the fire every other day or so does the trick.

never tried it tho.

about every three days or so, i burn some hot fires...really roaring so it sends some good heat up the chimney to keep it clean.

Not real sure why but I have not had to clean out my OWB furnace exhaust not once this year. And I have burned green wood all year. Ran outa seasoned early (customers come first and all). Only thing I can think of is been colder this year for longer periods without breaks and this is keeping it cooked out. But do to the all green wood and colder temps I have burned more than usual too. Handful of rock salt on hot coals once a week is what my uncle the science teacher says removes creosote. I personally don't want salt in my stainless steel furnace or on my steel grates.

The No Creosote Recipe (36 years old)

1. Burn seasoned wood (if some is wet or green, see #3).
2. One very hot fire/day (here it's done in the morning fires).
3. Never load the firebox without allowing the logs to coal first, then shut
air down.
4. Chemicals such as salt can deteriorate mortar,SS flues, steel stoves, cast iron. If following 1,2,3, there's no need for chemicals.

If you're flue cleaning more than 1X/year, check above method.:taped:

JMNSHO

Am I asking for a fire?

I'm on my fourth season with a new stove and chimney pipe without a cleaning. Each year I go up on the roof and peer down the pipe to see peeling paper thin creosote. I can see bare metal where the stuff has cracked and peeled back. I've even seen the stuff in my gutters and around the base of the chimney after a good hot fire.

Is it possible creosote wont stick to the 4 year new finish inside the pipe? I don't think there is enough creosote to cause a problem and wonder if running a brush through the pipe would give it a better surface to grab onto.

Am I asking for a fire?

I'm on my fourth season with a new stove and chimney pipe without a cleaning. Each year I go up on the roof and peer down the pipe to see peeling paper thin creosote. I can see bare metal where the stuff has cracked and peeled back. I've even seen the stuff in my gutters and around the base of the chimney after a good hot fire.

Needs a cleaning - now preferably.

Shari

What does number three mean, "coal first", and why do you shut the air down?

Could have been clearer.
There's no heat out of wood until the moisture is first burned off, then the wood solids begin to catch fire, then the wood "coals" or gets to the efficent point of producing gases and heat.
That's the basic skinny on getting BTUs out of wood. You will get the technical account of the chemical/mechanical process shortly from the more erudite techos hereabouts (con hubris) :monkey:, but that's the simple explanation of coaling.

Once coaling begins you get BTUs -- giving off clean, efficient heat for you. Then the air CAN (not should) be shut down depending on the heat wanted.

Am I asking for a fire?

Is it possible creosote wont stick to the 4 year new finish inside the pipe? I don't think there is enough creosote to cause a problem and wonder if running a brush through the pipe would give it a better surface to grab onto.

i have a brick chimey with clay tiles for a flue. i bought the house in 1979 and never cleaned the chimney until last year. we burned fires often, but only in the past few years have we done so 24/7.

so...last year i thought i should take a look at it. i bought the wire brush and stuff and climbed onto the roof. what a waste of time that was. i could see the red on the clay tiles as far down as the flashlight would shine, but there was some black on them. i ran the brush down and all i got was black dust.

maybe in another 30 years i'll go back and look at it.

The efficency of a chimney depends on how air tight it is built. If your chimney has excess air infilteration this will allow the flue gases to cool before they reach the top outlet and you will get a build-up of creosote. If your chimney is somewhat air tight then the gases will stay hot to the top and you will have a very efficient heating source. It all depends on how the mason built the thing.

If your chimney allows excess air infilteration then the only real way to correct the problem in my opinion is to line it with a stainless steel liner. This will increase the draw, ensure the flue gases stay hot the whole way up the flue, and you will generate much less cresote, and more heat in the long run.

I brush my lined chimney every year and all I get out of it is about a 1/2 gallon of dust, and the chimney is almost 40 foot tall.

Craig

The efficency of a chimney depends on how air tight it is built. If your chimney has excess air infilteration this will allow the flue gases to cool before they reach the top outlet and you will get a build-up of creosote. If your chimney is somewhat air tight then the gases will stay hot to the top and you will have a very efficient heating source. It all depends on how the mason built the thing.

If your chimney allows excess air infilteration then the only real way to correct the problem in my opinion is to line it with a stainless steel liner. This will increase the draw, ensure the flue gases stay hot the whole way up the flue, and you will generate much less cresote, and more heat in the long run.

I brush my lined chimney every year and all I get out of it is about a 1/2 gallon of dust, and the chimney is almost 40 foot tall.

Craig

I just got my chimmney redone 2 weeks ago. I had it supaflued. http://supaflu.com/index.htm
The draft now is unbeliveable. I think it could suck up a tennis ball. I'm very happy with it. Plus a lifetime warranty.

Latest posts

Back