Crepe myrtle with recesses at base of trunk

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feebys Owner

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi. I have a 25+ year old HUGE crepe myrtle that has areas around the trunk base that collect water from rain (see pics) They seem to be getting bigger and deeper as time passes. I scoop out as much of the rain water as I can, but it is not easy to keep them free of standing water. Since our rains have begun this season, gnats (and probably mosquitos) are collecting around the recesses. Is there anything I could use to close up these recesses without harming the tree? Are these areas making the tree susceptible to problems? Thanks!

Attachments

• output.jpg
    output.jpg
    873.5 KB · Views: 31
  • output2.jpg
    output2.jpg
    811.7 KB · Views: 35
  • output3.jpg
    output3.jpg
    863.2 KB · Views: 28
Hi. I have a 25+ year old HUGE crepe myrtle that has areas around the trunk base that collect water from rain (see pics) They seem to be getting bigger and deeper as time passes. I scoop out as much of the rain water as I can, but it is not easy to keep them free of standing water. Since our rains have begun this season, gnats (and probably mosquitos) are collecting around the recesses. Is there anything I could use to close up these recesses without harming the tree? Are these areas making the tree susceptible to problems? Thanks!

That is a nice tree, honestly, I would just put a cap full of bleach in the pockets you are concerned about.
Jeff :cool:

Bleach won't hurt the tree? If I do that, I am hoping the birds and squirrels don't drink it. My cat is attracted to the smell of bleach - hope that is not true for birds/squirrels! Thanks.

Bleach won't hurt the tree? If I do that, I am hoping the birds and squirrels don't drink it. My cat is attracted to the smell of bleach - hope that is not true for birds/squirrels! Thanks.
He meant it would kill the larva, personally I would leave it alone not enough skeeters there to matter but a few drops of bleach in that small puddle would kill larva and clean the water. I would beware of filling the cavity do to phytotoxicity of any filler.

I was wondering the same thing about the bleach, and what the purpose is in using it.
Vinegar is a good anti-bacterial, I use it to clean out the red crud from the outside bird baths and also use it to clean my inside bird cage. Totally non-toxic.

I think I will try the vinegar first, and see what happens. Hopefully, that resolves the gnat problem (more of an issue than mosquitos).

But, I still am wondering if the recesses will eventually harm the health of the tree, and if there is something more 'natural' to fill them with as opposed to silicone caulk.

I think I will try the vinegar first, and see what happens. Hopefully, that resolves the gnat problem (more of an issue than mosquitos).

But, I still am wondering if the recesses will eventually harm the health of the tree, and if there is something more 'natural' to fill them with as opposed to silicone caulk.
I had a thought ... why couldn't you drill a 1/2" hole through the root to let the water drain through? I would think the hole wall would eventually seal, like a pierced ear. You might need to do it more than once to keep the hole clear.
Then again, I could be wrong. :rolleyes:
I wonder if anyone has ever tried this before?

my comment started as a flippant thought, But then I figured "hey, why not?"

Does the sprinkler system work?
Add two more heads, on opposite sides of the tree.
My thinking is to aim them so as to flush the pockets?
Just don't cut up the roots while doing this.
IF you really do try this, I would use the garden hose and my gloved hands to work out the pathways for the plumbing.

Maybe re-aiming the head that's there or a different spray patterned one would help?

Many adult crepes develop the funny little recesses I have yet to see it effect them. Crepes are one of the toughest plants resistant to disease , very drought tolerant and have even survived humans doing all sorts of atrocities to them!

Latest posts

Back