Critter chewing on my new Apple tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suaf

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I recently planted a Dwarf Red Delicious Apple tree and it's the only one of my new trees/shrubs I didn't wrap chicken wire around. Of course, I noticed today the bark is all chewed up about 1 foot up the tree. I have a feeling it can recover but does anyone know if there is a dressing/wrap for the wounds I can get at a Home Depot?

Thanks!

suaf said:
I recently planted a Dwarf Red Delicious Apple tree and it's the only one of my new trees/shrubs I didn't wrap chicken wire around. Of course, I noticed today the bark is all chewed up about 1 foot up the tree. I have a feeling it can recover but does anyone know if there is a dressing/wrap for the wounds I can get at a Home Depot?

Thanks!

You can put "Tree Cote" on it. Comes in a yellow bottle and is brushed on. I use it for sealing grafting wounds. Seems like the current thought on pruning cuts is to not use anything but use of it may give you piece of mind. If the bark is mangled, you may take a sharp knife and cut the parts out that may try to hold water.

if the bark is removed all the way around and 1 foot up the tree, its gone.
wrap the replacement.
-Ralph

just don't any better but

if this is a common problem in your area (n. ill, I'm from s.e. WI) haven't other people dealt with this problem?

Also, in a related vein, you may want to get fiberglass insulatiion (with battting on it) and put the fiberglass inside out around your tree. Critters don't like chewing into fiberglass.

In another direction, when my uncle poured concrete for his corn crib (too long story) he crushed light bulbs into the concrete to keep anything from digging through the concrete (if that's the case, you have much bigger problems!)

I'm guessing it's rabbits - as they eat everything aroound here. I have put chicken wire around all of my young plants and atked it in the ground. It seems to be working. Even if it squirrrels, I am hoping the metal wire will detract them from climbing over it to get to them. I'm hoping the apple tree comes back next year...we'll see. Thanks for the advice.

chicken wire??

Here we use 1/2" hardware cloth mesh because the critters could be anything from mice to moose.

I've used pine tar (creosote) on damaged trees. It acts as a deterrent to future damage (tastes NASTY to the critters) and makes the protective seal that helps to keep pathogens out. Buy it at your local pharmacy. I know that sounds nuts, but it's an ingredient in certain medicines.

Pvc pipe

Pvc pipe also works excellent cut the pvc in half with a jigsaw and put it around the trunk. Use a piece that is a couple of inches bigger than the trunk to give it room to grow. It also keeps to weedeaters away from the trunk . I cut down the sides with squiggle patern so that it interlocks kinda like a jigsaw puzzle then wrap it with some twine to hold it together. Also if you have mulch around it pull it away from the trunk during the winter cause mice like to nest under the mulch around the trunks and chew at the bark of apple trees.

James

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back