Critters in the wood your splitting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
can I burn the wood when it's dried properly ?
I do and have for years. when you bust that log open they will come out. most of the spray goes on the ground killing them. if you don't kill them they will get in your yard trees. and you won't kill them all so some will anyway. especially if you have big oaks.

But i will mention that i don't just soak the wood in it either. i also will split the log with a maul in the woods if i suspect it is full of them. i have even split them up and let them stay in the woods untill the ants leave.
I have never seen as many ants in wood, this year is the worst!

I have never seen as many ants in wood, this year is the worst!
Seems like the last two i cut up had rattlers in them. they had hollow section them stink ants had eaten away but only the snakes were there. this sucker crawled between my legs while bucking up the trunk.

20230606_164034.jpg20230606_154544.jpg20230606_154553.jpg

I just split the wood into chunks and leave it in my wood processing area for a while. The bugs like a certain environment and when you split the round up you change it. They're particularly sensitive to the amount of moisture. When you split the round open you just destroyed that environment. So they will leave. I finish splitting it when they're gone.

As far as the bugs infesting the rest of my trees, the wood I'm splitting came from my property. The bugs are already here and in whatever trees they want to be in. Me splitting wood won't do anything except make them leave those pieces of wood. Killing them won't affect the bugs in the rest of my property. If I'm going to spray poison, I want it to be effective. So I don't bother with bugs in wood.

If the wood is not rotten it'll burn once its dry. I get more wood than I can burn so I don't bother too much with questionable wood.

I let them hibernate in the wood in a separate pile that I take directly in when it get super cold and toss in the stove ants and all, before it has a chance to warm them up! The fire takes care of them as the wood burns. While I smile and say something like "How about that now you little S.O.B.'s".

Mike

Back