Crusty sap deposits cause creosote?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boda65

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I just started tapping into my supply of Pin Oak that I cut last spring. Some of the pieces have crusty red deposits on them that I assume is sap that weeped out while drying. My question is will these deposits cause creosote when I burn it? It doesn't come off real easy but I'm sure it would come right off with a wire brush. I don't know how many have this, just found a few pieces so far.
oaksap.jpg

oaksapcu.jpg

Creosote is the result of incomplete combustion which produces high levels of particulates that then condense on a colder surface (uninsulated flue is the worst). Burning insufficiently dry wood is the most significant cause of ceosote buildup.

Dry sap has nothing to do with creosote.

I am with Laynes. Some sort of fungal growth..

I 3rd that assessment. We had a real moist June & July and the woodpile started bearing a greater resembelence to a Maitake mushroom farm than an eventual heat source.

If you get some chimney build up, it won't be the result of combusting dehydrated fungal matter.

My guess would be that oak that was just cut last spring would be the cause of creosote build up.
Al

My guess would be that oak that was just cut last spring would be the cause of creosote build up.
Al

I split wood relatively small and it was stacked and dried inside. It lights easily and doesn't smoke up the windows. Yes, I would prefer to season it a little longer, but I think it is sufficiently dry as to not be a problem. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back