Cs-520 Vs. 280

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

50:1

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm fixing to buy either a STIHL 280 or an Echo CS-520. I need some feedback on anyone who has ran either of these. Speed, quality, ease of use, good for limbing, felling, bucking??? Good torque for cutting stumps??? I know both say max bar length of 20", but I would like to run a 24" OCCASIONALLY if needed. I need opinions on that. Is the 280 one of stihls "homeowner" saws like the 025, 029, 310, 039 or more commercial like the 026, 360, 440, etc.??? Do Stihls generally have a higher RPM and are therefore faster cutters??? Is the 280 comparable to the Stihl 026? Any and all advice would be most appreciated.

The 280 is another of Stihl's homeowner models, but they've dressed it like a pro saw to confuse us. Echo only builds one line of saws, which is built slightly lighter than a Stihl or Husky pro saw, but well above their homeowner lines. The 280 would be comparable size wise, and to some extent performance wise to an 026, but is not built as well and weighs more. I haven't run either saw, so I can't comment on their specific performance.

I think you are optimistic to pull a 24" bar on either saw, unless absolutely necessary. It will be a very slow cut, especially with a 24" bar buried in hardwood.

Without more on how much you intend to use the saw, and what you are using it for, it is hard to really say which saw you should buy.

I like Timberpig`s assessment of echo quality vs that of Stihl or Husky pro saws. I agree with him.

I also believe the 280 is somewhat of a crossover saw for Stihl, not quite pro, not quite homeowner. I`d put it`s construction quality on par with the Echo, which BTW I believe, shares the horizontally split crankcase with the 280. One of the more distinguishing/telling features regarding whether or not a saw is considered a pro saw.

I have to admit that I`ve never run a CS520 although I did get to run rahtreelimbs CS510. Frankly I was impressed by how that saw revs and consequently cut quite well. I would assume that the 520 is similar, but this is only an assumption.

I have owned a 280 and used it enough to get a good feel for it. It`s a pretty nice saw. Fairly light and well balanced, good antivibe( if a little too soft), better than average air filter precleaning and a decent size flocked filter, and side chain adjust. Oh yeah, also has a fully adjustable carb.

The CS510 felt buzzier in my hands than the 280 but not much different than the 260. It was no match for speed or power when compared to the 260 or 280.

I don`t know what sort of air filter the 520 has but I`ve seen quite a few Echos that have the less restrictive(read: less effective) nylon filters and Echo also seems to be leaning heavily toward non adjustable fixed jet carbs based on the several that I`ve looked at over the last few years. Any echo dealers care to comment on my casual observation?

This is what I`ve found when comparing an ms260 to an ms280. In small wood less than 8" diameter the 260 would come out ahead after 10 minutes of successive cuts. If the would were 12" or larger, the 280 would be the production leader after 10 minutes. The additional pound or so that the 280 weighs over the 260 doesn`t seem to be noteworthy, they are both reasonably light saws, as is the CS520.

What is the better saw if comparing the 520 and 280? That`s very subjective. I don`t think that you would ever be sorry for buying the 280 if the budget allows it, but it is substantially more expensive than the 520. The 520 can be considered a steal at some of the prices I`ve seen them go for on eBay. You shouldn`t have any trouble getting your money`s worth out of either saw.

If you only need a 24" bar occassionally, do you really need one at all? Try working around the cut with the 20, you should be able to cut close to 40" without even cutting any ears. None of these saws will do well with a 24.

Russ

As Russ stated I have an Echo CS510. I believe the CS520 is just a newer slightly bigger version of the CS510. I have the muffler ported on my CS510 and the saw is a pretty strong runner for being a stock saw. I have never ran a Stihl MS280 so I can't comment on its performance.

I would go by what dealer would give you the best service, also price has to be factored in as well.

Check Ebay, Echo saws with good prices pop up there often.

echo or ms280

i have a m s280 16h in bar,also muffler has been tweek, this saw has performance,i like it, fuel and oil caps are need no tools for removeable,i like this ms280 good saw :)

I think that 270/280 are the atempt of Stihl to test the possibility to use horizontally split magnesium crankcase for pro saws. Horizontally split crankcases seem to be easier machine and cheaper in the production. As they both saws are relatively new models the final conclusions cannot be done yet. The main issues that I heared and encountered itself are connected with the fuel system.
V.

pinus said:
I think that 270/280 are the attempt of Stihl to test the possibility to use horizontally split magnesium crankcase for pro saws. Horizontally split crankcases seem to be easier machine and cheaper in the production. As they both saws are relatively new models the final conclusions cannot be done yet. The main issues that I heared and encountered itself are connected with the fuel system.
V.
I suspect the "final conclusions" are starting to show up, as the 270 is already discontinued in parts of the world, after only two years on the market....

SawTroll said:
I suspect the "final conclusions" are starting to show up, as the 270 is already discontinued in parts of the world, after only two years on the market....
As long as it will do a good job I will not disconinue it.
After that, it should be kept as a rarity ;)
May be OT, but my largest disapoitment with 270 was my attemt to be a very smart guy! When I firstly replased spur wit rim sprocket I gotted a cheaper Oregon-s relacement drum+rim. What was happened frustrated me completely! The Oregons rim had a such large ovality that it was impossible to tension the chain normally (one chain was broken due this). Then I was smart again and purchased only stihls rim. Again complete fault, Stihls rim has a littlebit smaller inner diameter. So, i was in the shop again and ordered complete Stihls kit, dru+rim!
Dont try to put on Stihl something non-stihls :cool:
v.

50:1
I have an MS 280 and an older Echo CS 5000, not the 520.

I have used the Echo a lot. It has a cartidge type air filter like a miniature of the older round car filters. I consider this a real plus. As far as performance goes this Echo runs strong but does not outperform other pro-type saws in its class. Speed and accelleration are very good but not great. Having said that the saw has been rock solid. I do the maintenance and it keeps throwin' the chips.

The MS 280 is nearly new so I can't discuss durability but after about three tanks of mix it really started talking to me. It is clearly more powerful and faster cutting. Although a little heavier than the Echo it seems more comfortable to operate also. The anti-vibration system feels a little different but it really cuts down the buzz. One you get used to it you will probably swear by it.

If the MS 280 is still doing its job in 10 years I will retire the Echo and buy a gas or pellet stove.

pinus said:
..... Dont try to put on Stihl something non-stihls :cool:
v.
I discovered the issue of Stihls small spline beeing smaller than other small splines the hard way too. Stihl is to blame, nobody else I think. :alien:

Otherwise, at the moment I have a Stihl 3/8"x8 rim on my Jred and an Oregon one on my MS361, and both works great! ;)

SawTroll said:
I discovered the issue of Stihls small spline beeing smaller than other small splines the hard way too. Stihl is to blame, nobody else I think. :alien:

Otherwise, at the moment I have a Stihl 3/8"x8 rim on my Jred and an Oregon one on my MS361, and both works great! ;)

What was a sriking for me is the difference in the finalizing quality of Stihls and Oregons parts. Oregons clutch drum was as it seemed stamped from nonpolished stain and much more roughtly machined compared to Stihls one. Price difference tells you ;)
v.

Back