csm advice needed please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulLovesJamie

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I got the bug - I want to do some milling.
I can come up with the cash for an alaskan mill, but a second chainsaw will be tough. So, I'm thinking I'll get started on a few smaller poplars ... with my stihl 026, a 24' bar and a ripping chain.

Questions:
I know the 026 is too small (50cc), but if I go slow it should handle those soft smaller poplars, right? Or should I just not bother if I cant swing a new saw? :(

24" bar too big for my 026? could I go bigger?

I think I read here that the alaskan mill adjusts down to a smaller bar, so the smart thing to do would be to buy the bigger mill - 30" - in the hopes that next year I can get a bigger saw?

FYI, I have about 20 more poplars that need to come down, 3 cherries, 2 more black walnuts, a half dozen oaks. Since I' buying lumber for assorted projects it kills me to just be using the trees for firewood.

I got the bug - I want to do some milling.
I can come up with the cash for an alaskan mill, but a second chainsaw will be tough. So, I'm thinking I'll get started on a few smaller poplars ... with my stihl 026, a 24' bar and a ripping chain.

Questions:
I know the 026 is too small (50cc), but if I go slow it should handle those soft smaller poplars, right? Or should I just not bother if I cant swing a new saw? :(

24" bar too big for my 026? could I go bigger?

I think I read here that the alaskan mill adjusts down to a smaller bar, so the smart thing to do would be to buy the bigger mill - 30" - in the hopes that next year I can get a bigger saw?

FYI, I have about 20 more poplars that need to come down, 3 cherries, 2 more black walnuts, a half dozen oaks. Since I' buying lumber for assorted projects it kills me to just be using the trees for firewood.

I will start out in saying to go ahead and spend a few (10-20) extra bucks and get the 36" mill, this way you will be prepared for the bigger stuff when you do get a bigger saw, and trust me you will be buying a bigger saw. Milling is very addictive to most. Your 026 is not gonna be a happy saw on the mill especially when pulling a 24" bar. It'll mill but it will be very slow. I say to go for it and see what you think and then if you like chainsaw milling you can start saving them pennies for that 066/660 that you mentioned. Best of luck to ya! Be sure to post some pictures when you get going. :cheers:

Dusty has pretty well summed up my point of view.

You may want to think about a 20" bar - then when you get your 066 the 026 with a 20" and regular chain will be a useful little bucking saw.

A 24" bar seems oversized for your saw, but on a mill, you won't have all 24" in a log at one time... an inch and a half of the bar will be used up next to the powerhead, and another 3 to 4 inches will be consumed at the tip end from the mill. I have a friend that runs a 260 pro (sameish saw) with an 18" bar (.325 0.063) and he is happy with that. At most, you will have about 18" of your 24" bar in wood. Yes, it takes more power to pull on the 24" bar, even if it isn't in wood, but it will probably work if you are patient. Check to see if the 24" bar you want will fit the 066 that you want... I use a 24" bar on my 066 for milling the smaller logs, and I reserve the 36" and 42" bars for the big stuff / crotches. If you are patient, and keep your chains very sharp, you will proably be ok. You maynotice that your chains are dull as you near the end of one log... be prepared to sharpen in the field, or have spares handy. I also recommend going with the 36" mill. The 066 will take a 42" bar which allows you to make use of the full 34" clear in the mill. Hopefully that helps some.

Please don't cut the walnut into firewood... if I were closer, I'd beg to come by and mill it. :)

excellent, thanks for confirming my plans.
36" mill, 24" bar. Yes I know it'll be hard work. :) I'm already saving - just dont want to wait!

Only one black walnut came down so far. Made a bench out of the only 6' straight section of trunk, 14 yr old son is making antler plaques, a couple small shelves etc out of some, the rest went to the fireplace. Now that I know about this site, any others that I dont use will not be wasted.

Will definitely post pics. :)

P L U G your ears! Don't listen to these guys!

You listen to them and there is no turning back. The chainsaw addiction will have you good and then there is only one way to deal with it.

You have been warned :spam:

Latest posts

Back