CSM angle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintb

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a 4 stroke csm built on a track and have built a bandsaw for use now. I was thinking if i could make the chainsaw blade cut at a 45* angle, would it cut any faster. Anyone here that has slabbed a log with a longer than needed bar ever try cutting at an angle and if you cut faster this way.

On occasion when my bandsaw blade is getting dull, sometimes going down the cant at a slight angle keeps it from diving as dull blades will. It will take longer to go down that log though if angled. Think about it, you are basically cutting through thicker cant once you angle the thing, more wood to cut at once. On the csm, I don't angle my bar like that, never had a need to. Again... the more you angle it, the more wood you are going through at one time.

I do a lot of CSM (Alaskan mill from Bailey's, 66" double end bar) of old growth redwood, which is pretty easy to saw. I generally run two powerheads, Stihl 044's. I try to set it up so that the chain is cutting slightly biased with the grain, so it's closer to a ripping "curly fries" type cut instead of an end grain powder cut. If running a single powerhead this would be awkward because you'd have to have the nose of the bar leading cutting with the bottom of the bar, or dragging the nose behind and saw with the top of the bar. If you had a double end bar with a stinger handle and a helper you could make it work.

How much does it gain me? Are my cuts better, smoother, faster? I don't know, but I feel better, knowing my chain is not engaging the end grain or trying to fray my way against the grain.

One the blade is fully established in a angled cut I think any gain in cutting slightly with the grain is offset by the longer cutting length and you end up more or less at the same cutting speed.

I do rotate my mill from side to side sometimes especially on bigger trees, but like rtrsam says it just makes me feel better as it gives an illusion of faster cutting for that shorter period where it is cutting a shorter face for a while.

Latest posts

Back