CSM or Portable Sawmill????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgarrett

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
We have 160 acres up in the moutains. We want to build a new cabin.. Beetle killed Lodgepole everywhere... If you were going to saw D-logs would you CSM them or buy a portable Bandmill? Ive got 2-076s already. dgarrett

We have 160 acres up in the moutains. We want to build a new cabin.. Beetle killed Lodgepole everywhere... If you were going to saw D-logs would you CSM them or buy a portable Bandmill? Ive got 2-076s already. dgarrett

two 076's and 160 acres wow as much as your going to need and be able to sell some as well my bet would be band mill....I am sure the 076 would do fine just slower at it.jmo

I had a project like that over here north of Missoula just outside of Evaro. I started to mill beetle trees (P-pines). After a few trees I took a look at the stack of logs to be milled and gave up on the chainsaw mill. I use an 075 for my mill which will eat through pine pretty fast but when confronted with hundreds of logs a band saw is the only way to go. Right now I am milling some beetle P-pines for a deck, I think 19 logs all together, 2x10's and 1.5x8's. Not even a fraction of the milling for an entire house and it feels like a big project.

looking at some thing the size of a cabin i would go sawmill. but a csm would deffinately have its uses also ,so my vote is both.

I agree, assuming you have the money for a bandmill; if you did decide to spend the cash on a bandmill, the extra couple hundred bucks for an Alaskan and a Mini-Mill would be a no-brainer since you already have great saws available for the CSMs. Even with a bandmill, I'm sure you'd find use for them too - what if you decide you need a 30' long beam but the bandmill can only do a 20' cut?

If you can only afford one, you could always get the bandmill and make yourself an Alaskan. There are hundreds of tips on this forum about making
Alaskans. Good luck.

thanks

I guess a bandmill is going on my list. This is going to be a long term project. I have 2 mini-mills just need to find a good Alaskamill. thanks dgarrett

Pine Beetle

There is a whole new crop of Lodgepole dying every year. So I can picjk and chose exactly what i need when the time comes. I'm a little worried that a major fire might take it all before im ready..dgarrett

what if you decide you need a 30' long beam but the bandmill can only do a 20' cut?

Then you mill as far as the head will go, then pull the log back 10' through the head checking for level, and mill the last 10' off.

Rob

T-30

thanks I already reponded to him on craigslist first day it was advertised. Theres a berg here and a few others also in what i consider good prices. Dont know if i can bring myself to sell 15-20 saws to pay for a mill... still debating that one...thanks dgarrett

Howdy.............I have cut D logs with both a band mill and Mobile Dimension saw. I haven't used a chainsaw mill.......seems like it would be a lot of work but probably do-able. The band mill in LP Pine would be your best bet I think. You would need to make sure your footings for the saw track are very solid and level. Check for level often because the wierdest unexpectedest things will throw it out of kilter. Maintain a very sharp band. You can cut just about all of the lumber you would need with either a bandsaw or Mobile Dimension, sell a little for hardware money etc. Also you can get bandsaw track extensions to mill the longer lengths. I had a heck of a time doing 2 and 3 sided logs with the Mobile Dimension. When I used the bottom edger to face the log it would walk up on the log between 1/4 and 1/2 inch toward the far end then drop and bind on the return. Tried everything I could think of and finally gave up. I finally just dropped the bottom edger and turned cant on the log, was very careful with the dogs and measured and adjusted for every cut. I remember when loggers were required to pushed lodgepole in a pile and burn it or lop and scatter it in the woods. It is a great all around conifer!! I think CS mills are great and have their place but don't think I would want to use one to build a house.........Bob

thanks Mirkaba

Do you still have your Mobile Dimension. I need to sell a bunch of saws to fiance a mill. That project isn't going to well as I cant seem to put any of them for sale. dgarrett

Still have it. Had to get rid of the ex-partner that blew it up and now I am saving up to re- build the motor. In fact I haven't even looked at the motor yet. Thinking about doing the rebuild myself. Its the old 127 with small VW motor. Plan on having it going again by fall. The biggest drawback I've found is the sawdust. 1/4" kerf literally makes mountains of it!! I am pretty partial to the MD though. It cuts great lumber and consistantly more than 50% over-run on scale. The 038 seems to be running great. Thanks again for the filter!
Bob

Back