CSMing for a woodshed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtngun

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Here's some pics on how I spent my weekend.

Lots of blown down trees. It used to be thick forest, that protected the trees from wind. Notice how the trees are tall and spindly, with few lower branches -- that's how trees grow when they are protected from wind. If the same species grows in a windy area, then they are short, stubby, and have lots of lower branches.

Last year they clear cut some of it, creating a corridor for the wind, which these tall, spindly trees cannot handle. Plus the slash fire got out of control and killed a lot of good trees. The combination of fire damage and wind damage resulted in several acres of blown down trees. I feel it is my civic duty to help clean up the mess.
blow_down.jpg

Milling with a view. The tree I am sawing here started out as a 24" dbh douglas fir that had been killed by the slash fire, and then blown over.
slabbing.jpg

Douglas fir slabs, 12 foot long. Most are destined to become rafters for a woodshed.
slabs_9_28.jpg

Saw is an Olympyk 980, normally my firewood saw. The Italian Stallion has been pressed into milling duty until parts arrive for the Stihl 066, which suffered a broken wrist pin circlip. The Olympyk's chain adjustment is at the front, so the saw has to be removed from the Alaskan to tighten the chain. The 80cc saw struggles with the 36" bar, and bogs if you push it too hard. Nonetheless, it's milled quite a bit of lumber.

Chain is Bailey's 33RP.

Guide rail is an old 2x12. One of these days I'd like to have a unistrut rail similar to what another AS member uses.

I've only been milling for a few weeks, but I am starting to get the hang of it.

I've tried using the Alaskan to make a cant, and then sawing out boards, vs. merely sawing full width slabs, and decided to go with the slabs. Slabbing reduces setup time, so I can spend more time sawing and end up with more wood in my truck. Once I get the slabs home, then I can snap a chalk line and rip boards with a skil saw, and I've got all winter to do that.

I like days like those...nice view as well.. How are going to edge your boards?

ok....and I see chalk line and skill saw for edging. Sorry was captivated by the view and your boards and didnt read any further.

Last edited:
Sweet! Good job again 2nd the beautiful country! I wished I had some more straight softwood to access!! All the pine I have gotten ahold of is small and crooked! Nice

we need more milling stories here on arborsite! :)

Nice deal buddy, good work.

I would love to live in that area with that view....but I like hardwoods a bit more. Hmmm....

we need more milling stories here on arborsite! :)

Nice deal buddy, good work.

I would love to live in that area with that view....but I like hardwoods a bit more. Hmmm....

...here in Pennsylvania I'm awash with oak cherry and walnut, but I'd love to have more Doug fir at my disposal, or some of those huge tall cedars you have out there. Always greener on the other side of the fence, no? I too would love to live in an area that has more mountains. Pros and cons to that too though. Great pics, thanks mtngun.

...here in Pennsylvania I'm awash with oak cherry and walnut, but I'd love to have more Doug fir at my disposal, or some of those huge tall cedars you have out there. Always greener on the other side of the fence, no? I too would love to live in an area that has more mountains. Pros and cons to that too though. Great pics, thanks mtngun.

Hey woodshop!
I totally agree....for the most part I'm content with where I am now....I have a nice mix of both. But walnuts are hard to come buy unless I travel 40 miles south where they are more abundant. We mainly have oak, willow, soft maple, elm, cherry (not very big), box elder, locus, and a mix of softwoods. I would like to come across more cherry and walnut....but hey....it makes it even nicer when I do find a good one.

in any case,
Cheers to the envy of other woods :)

Jim

Great pics and story, more pics needed though.

Keep up the good and very hard work!!!

Kevin

This time of year the fire danger is so high here on this side of the Cascades that we are required to carry at least 350 gallons of water, fire tools, and quick shots to every milling site. All saws have to be inspected by the local forest protective association as well. The fines for not complying can be rather heavy.

attachment.php

Nice stuff mtngun!

Those are nice pictures you have there,with the great scenery and wood to cut.Looks a lot like the interior of British Columbia.Run into any nice bucks up there?Maybe they are up higher,still early.How much does a milling machine like that cost?
Lawrence

350 gallons of water ? Holy cow. I haven't heard of that requirement over here, but in dry years, they will force logging crews to work nights instead of days, and they'll ban woodcutting altogether until the fall rains begin.

We have enjoyed some rain this summer, so our fire danger hasn't been that severe.

Last fall there were two fires in my neighborhood caused by slash burns that got out of control. They started the slash fires during a cool rainy spell, but then the sun came out and the wind picked up.

I am doing my part to reduce the fire hazard by cleaning up some of the fuel on the ground. :greenchainsaw:

petesoldsaw, an Alaskan mill runs about $200. The spendy part is the saw, since we are talking 90cc or more. The Olympyk in my pictures was an ebay bargain at $259 delivered, but at 80cc it is marginal for milling. Normally I mill with a Stihl 066.

Since there are no hardwoods in my area, it is hard to justify the expense of milling equipment. But, I figure I will save enough on lumber to pay for the mill and saw, and I don't mind the labor since I enjoy getting out in the woods.

I thought about making a band mill, but I have no way to carry logs to the mill. The nice thing about the Alaskan is that you can carry the mill to the log.

We have lots of ponderosa pine and oodles of white fir, but douglas fir is hard to come by because it is in high demand by both loggers and firewood cutters. Normally, the loggers clean out the douglas fir, and then the firewood cutters take any douglas that the loggers missed. I am not allowed to cut living trees, only deadwood, and I am really not even supposed to cut dead trees unless they are on the ground. I was lucky to find this blown-down area. There will surely be a salvage logging operation on it soon, so I am gettin while the gettin is good.

Here it is with wood. I posted this here to give people a good idea for a woodshed simple to build and the roof hangs out over the front so as keep rain off you while you pile wood into the wheel barrow.

spliting004.jpg

Nice work

That is a really nice looking woodshed. Did you split the shakes for the roof?

Great pics. Here is a woodshed I built from csmilled red oak.

spliting002.jpg

Nice looking woodshed! :clap:
Did you use a set of plans for the woodshed? About what are the dimensions?
Looks like a temporary structure. Zoning might not flag that as another out building.

What's the wood burner used for outside?

Latest posts

Back