Curious about attitudes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the residential scene, if an ho tells me that he/she is having more than three companies bid their job, I politely decline to even waste my time seeing it. It is a certainty, in my area, that one of the bidders will be a monkeys-with-chainsaws operation and their bid will make them $50 each at the end of a ten-hour workday.

Same here. I had this goober call today and tell me he was getting six bids. I basically hung up on the guy. After 23 years you get a little rough around the edges. Around here if the HO is looking for the cheapest guy (and Lord knows a LOT of them are) they are going to end up with some illegal alien trying to clear $10.00 on a two day job.

Why

Ok: just wondering went on a site walk through yesterday in Ok.
If any of you guys were there you know where I'm talking about.
Just a walk through for a pre bid.
About 12 contractors there.Cold rainy day.So I try to make small talk,1st mistake,you would have thought that I asked them there bid price,never seen so many sour faces in my life,other than a AA meeting.lol
But seriously I wonder if most of the guys on this site were anonymous and at that same meeting would it still be the same.
I would think that the guys on here could at least carry on a conversation.Or is it the nature of the beast to stare you down and scowl at you all day.
Or do I just like to gab to make small talk to much.Ropensaddles opinion not withstanding.

You never talked to me, I would have had a conversation with you.

You never talked to me, I would have had a conversation with you.

Well after being shot down about the weather,how ya doing,where ya from a few times,a guy starts to get a complex.Bo,after shave,do I still smell beer.Makes ya wonder.
Sorry I got shot down a few times before we got to talk.Not often ya get to meet someone on this site in person.
But being there you Probably noticed that It was awful quite,or maybe all those deals are like that,my 1st one though.

Just a thought . . .

If it is a bid on a public project, sometimes you are entitled to see the names of all of the bidders and their bid price, if not their entire bid document. Sometimes, only the winning bid.

This can be a powerful way to gain some insight on what your competition is charging and how they price/structure their bid.

Philbert

Just a thought . . .

If it is a bid on a public project, sometimes you are entitled to see the names of all of the bidders and their bid price, if not their entire bid document. Sometimes, only the winning bid.

This can be a powerful way to gain some insight on what your competition is charging and how they price/structure their bid.

Philbert

Ah-- good to know!

Just a thought . . .

Philbert

You are talking after the fact. He is taliking about being there.
Jeff

yes I have researched some of those sites that give {Past} performance.
Sometimes gives you a general idea what work is going for.
And a lot of what I have seen say bidding on acreage IE thinning,dead wooding,removing,etc, goes for pretty abysmal prices.
WTF do some of these guys that bid on this stuff have any idea what there doing to this occupation. One job I believe was in KY,1145 acres went for the average price of $90.00.a acre.:chainsaw:

can you say bring the ky!

I get that. Just saying that if you find yourself in a similar situation and get discouraged, there still might be something that you can salvage out of the experience.

Philbert

I haven't quite got to the point of discouragement yet,and I know your not saying that.
But just been exploring some other options,And yea there's a lot of crap to learn about it.And I have been digging and reading for 2 months now and no closer than I was 2 months ago,dealing with the feds s well lets say is :censored:! But I will keep trying but I'm not going to give my work away.

. . .dealing with the feds s well lets say is :censored:!

I have never bid on this type of project, but I have been a sub-contractor on other types of government work.

Sometimes the bid specifications, documentation, and the bidding process are so onerous that it becomes a matter of endurance and attrition. There are companies out there that specialize in negotiating the bureaucracy, obtaining government contracts, and subbing out the actual work for a profit.

If you can make it work then that is great. Otherwise, learn what you can from the process, and look for other niches where you can set yourself apart or make it work.

Best of luck to you.

Philbert

I have never bid on this type of project, but I have been a sub-contractor on other types of government work.

Sometimes the bid specifications, documentation, and the bidding process are so onerous that it becomes a matter of endurance and attrition. There are companies out there that specialize in negotiating the bureaucracy, obtaining government contracts, and subbing out the actual work for a profit.

If you can make it work then that is great. Otherwise, learn what you can from the process, and look for other niches where you can set yourself apart or make it work.

Best of luck to you.

Philbert

Actually had U/A call me today and offer assistance,proposals,contracts and so forth.Not bidding.A service they offer,classes or something I guess.Either way they can probably offer some help in this quagmire of :censored: It,s free so what the heck. Hey it,s a learning curve turned 1st bid in today,know I am way high.But wont do it for less.

Unless they ask me.:laugh:

Back