Curious question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vince

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
what happens when you are cutting a tree and it does something that you didn't want it to do and it is too dangerouse to keep cutting or is there no such thing as an un-cuttable tree. just curios thats all

The more skilled you are and the more experience you have, the less problems you have with 'uncuttable' trees. If you get to a point where "it's too dangerous to keep cutting", then you are likely in over your head and have screwed up. Cutting a tree halfway and stopping can create all sorts of issues for the guy who has to come along behind you and finish the tree. If you aren't able to put the tree on the ground, do everyone a favor and don't cut halfway through before making that decision.

Good point skwerl. If you have to think about it that long or you think it is "uncutable" then pack it in. I haven't found too many trees that I won't cut, but a few. Most were trees that were dead or had some serious widowmakers up in them.

I did some emergency work on a transmission line, 60kv., because people had been stealing maple wood and had run away from trees that were "half cut". Maple does not have good holding wood anyways and I could tell by looking that no pro falllers had been there. A few trees were hung up in other trees, after they had broken off the stump, if they hadn't hung up they would have wasted the line. I got my apprentice to hang bull ropes in them and we pulled them over with a tirfor. Skwerl is right, if you feel that you cannot keep going or you have big doubts, secure the area and get help. Don't be a hero, consider your own and others safety first.

clearance said:
... Skwerl is right, if you feel that you cannot keep going or you have big doubts, secure the area and get help. Don't be a hero, consider your own and others safety first.

Yep. My rule is 'never leave a widow maker that I caused'. So far I have always managed to put on the ground the few problems that I created but only after studying them well first. I also study them well before falling and if I have doubts about getting them down, they stay.

Harry K

No guys don't get me wrong i would never put anyone else at risk. Something like that is way too dangerouse and i never and wont ever leave a tree i have started cutting. I was just curious if there was such a thing as an uncuttable tree and what situations those were and how to prevent myself from being stuck with a tree too dangerouse to continue cutting or is it very obvious what you shouldn't take down.

clearance. do they shut off that line while you are working on it. 60 kv is so much electricity that is unbelievable. must be quit scary. I know a carpenter who was dropping a tree and fell the opposite he was trying to get and the line was probably only 7200 volts which is still alot. but anyways he grabbed the tree and he completed the circuit the circuit to ground and was stuck to the tree because of electrocution. His brother inlaw was with him and hit his arms with a stick breaking one of his arms to get him off of the tree. very scary. he had some severe burns on his feet. but he lived and i work with him all of the time. very lucky

Vince, almost all work is done live, line kills are very, very rare. 7200v is huge, people have been killed by 120v. very lucky man.

clearence. I know a little about voltages i am an electrician. you guys must be crazy to work with timbers on lines putting out that kind of voltage. how do you do that sort of work safely

Extensive training and good equipment to work around power. Not the best for the trees, within reason. Check out the site worksafebc for more info.

The nice thing about a high voltage contact with the ground is that it can set up what are called "standing waves". This means you could have one place on the ground which is at ground potential, and just a footstep away you could have line potential.

So, rescuers going to aid some one could get fried just by walking on the ground. Talk about a way to go - 40kV up one leg and down the other!
:jawdrop:

blue ridge. that is the scariest thought. i have been shocked quite a few times. 240 volts the most. and when you get that across both arms it feels like someone came and kicked you in the chest. That is instant burns. You might as well shoot the fellow that is an awful way to go that is terrible. I hope i never hear of that. you would be cooked almost instantly. very sad

Thats right Mark, electricity can spread from where a line contacts the ground, truck etc. out in a circle, like throwing a rock into a pond. Shuffle or hop away. Once I fell a little cedar across two phases of a 25kv three phase, it burned for a little bit, I just cringed and stayed still. The circuit kicked cause it was on single shot, I will never forget it, I could feel the power through the ground, lucky.

the electricity you talk about is so great i can't even imagine. but i do have a story. My dad who also is an electrician was work for Manitoba hydro up north in Manitoba and one day he and his partner were getting back into the truck to go to the hotel. My dad grabbed the door handle of the truck and was blown away from the truck about 10'. apparently there was an under ground electricity leak and it was great enough to jump across the tires and he became the ground. he was very lucky he spent 2 nights in hospital just to watch his heart rhythm

On the subject of "Uncuttable Trees", I don't believe there are any uncuttable trees. My dad has always told me "There is nothing in this life that you can't do, as long as you are willing to pay the price for doing it".

Now with that said, there may be a few trees that I'm not willing to pay the price for cutting, but they are all cuttable.

Andy

Yes there are "uncuttable" to (sane people) trees out there. Some of them are blasted, some are hammered from afar by falling another tree onto them. Some of them have a cable attached and are yarded on, usually going to pieces before they hit the ground. Bottom line, let fear and common sense stop you once in a while.

clearance said:
Yes there are "uncuttable" to (sane people) trees out there. Some of them are blasted, some are hammered from afar by falling another tree onto them. Some of them have a cable attached and are yarded on, usually going to pieces before they hit the ground. Bottom line, let fear and common sense stop you once in a while.

Clearance,
I agree with you totaly. Common sense is what makes you say "I don't think I'm willing to pay the price for cutting that tree.
Insane people may be able to cut the tree, at the price of life or limb. Therefore we have an "Injury & Fatality" forum.

Andy

Back