Curly Sycamore?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sachsmo

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well it'is definitely twisted,

2510667700104137097S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

There seems to be alot of speckling in it,
2097025720104137097S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Some nice spalting towards the end,
2518950120104137097S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Don't waste any more time on that log. Save yourself a lot of greif and cut it up into firewood. Spiral grain logs are not good for anything. Once dry you will be able to plane it into a flat board and then with seasonal movement it will twist on you. this twisting will crack any glue joint or blow apart any glued up panel. Sycamore is notoroius for movement in non spiral grain logs in a spiral grain log it will not be pretty.

I am not joking and I am not trying to rain on your party, just trying to give you the benifit of what I have learned the hard way.

Yeah,

Have read that Sycamore is NOT a good structural wood.

Still you have to admire the look of it when first milled.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

I didn't mean to imply that sycamore is not a good wood, structural or otherwise. My comments are strictly due to the spiral grain of the log. Sycamore logs are not all spiral grain and spiral grain occurs in many different species of wood.

I have a nice stash of quarter sawn sycamore waiting to be turned into kitchen cabinets for my house. it does move a bit but part of being a wood worker is dealing with wood movement.

I have made a piece of furniture out of spiral grained maple and thought I was planing correctly for the movement. The wood was dried properly and after 2 full years the glue joints were blown apart. If I had that stash of boards of yours I would cut it into kindleing, nice figura and all. There are enough good logs to be had that you don't need to waste time with a spiral grain log.

Hey Blue,

If you looked real close at the spalted parts at the top O the pics you could see some crazy flamin' guitar bodies.

scared?

Ok ya guys are now scaring me with the sycamore comments. I scored a huge piece of wood last fall and need three beams out of it. they were to be ruffly 5 1/2 wide and 10 inches tall by 18 foot. with one being a center cut and the others from the sides. They will be under a mild load but mostly decor in a barn. I planned on doing some fancy router work on the face side. Maybe I should use the walnut I have in stead. How bad would the syc check up and split?? thanks the Hoosier

Latest posts

Back