Custom pickaroon

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shaped it with a 4 inch grinder with cutting discs and then flap wheels. Once I had a good basic shape I used a file and a lot of elbow grease to square everything up and get a decent surface finish. I finished by hand sanding 60 - 600 grits.

I found an old head at an auction, cleaned up the tip, but not the body like you did with your creation, then picked up a new "boys ax" handle at local hardware store and ended up with a perfectly serviceable but not a showcase by any means. I am jealous of the patience and skill of folks that create like you did.

Attachments

• IMG_7925.JPG
    IMG_7925.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 31
You might have to pin the head to the handle so it doesn't come off.
That crossed my mind mainly because some of the older ones I’ve seen are pinned on. I got a super good fit and my wedge went in nice (glued it also) so hopefully it holds up.

Got a question now since you have had this for a few weeks. How is the tip holding up. Years ago I did a couple of picks out of old axes. Even made one out of a double bit axe leaving the axe on one side to knock off limbs. They worked for a while but the tips kept breaking off. I just attributed the breaking to the metal of the axe. I have a couple of wood picks we used to use loading 5ft pulp wood. They belonged to my dad and I sort of inherited them. Got to be 50 years old as I can remember using them when I was a kid. Never had one of those break. Had to take a file and sharpen the point every now and then, but they didn't break.

Latest posts

Back