customer pay schedule

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpie

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am going to remove and clean up a cotton wood and a small soft maple for a new client. I quoted him $2000. He wants to pay me $125 a week for 16 weeks. I have always been paid in full at the end of the job. What kind of advice do you have for me in the way of a contract, to make sure I get paid?

I've been burned with this in the past and don't do it any more. I agree with Timber... Let him make payments and then do the work when final payment is made. He would most likely never agree to that.

You will have to cover all of your expenses, labor, fuel, equipment maintainence, insurance, advertising, etc, prior to receiving payment. In effect, you are making a loan to the customer. I would suggest to the customer that he get a loan from a bank instead.

I've been burned with this in the past and don't do it any more. I agree with Timber... Let him make payments and then do the work when final payment is made. He would most likely never agree to that.

You will have to cover all of your expenses, labor, fuel, equipment maintainence, insurance, advertising, etc, prior to receiving payment. In effect, you are making a loan to the customer. I would suggest to the customer that he get a loan from a bank instead.
x3

new client = no but we take visa ;)

long time client = no but we take visa:biggrinbounce2:

now as far as city / county / state work you do it when they want it done and the pay you when the feel like it :hmm3grin2orange:

I would only make a payment schedule if it were my brother.

I don't have a brother.

If there is not emergency, I usually tell them that 12 weeks - whatever - is a very short period to wait and save up their money.

Easier to get them to sign now, for a scheduled job just 2 to 3 months away.

One payment.

Just a few times with I split it in half. For a few widows on Social Security - 1/2 now and 1/2 next month. Usually not over $400 worth either.

I too, found out recently that If that situation arises for me in the future I will decline. People tend to forget real easily to pay you when their problem is solved. I have split payments and it worked fine, but under $400 like MD stated earlier. No way would I split or take payments on $2000.

Don't do it.

If the guy can't save up the money over 16 weeks and pay you all at once then he certainly won't be able to pay you every week after the work is done.

Do you really want to do a $2K job for $125?

My 2 cents. Due now.

The kind of work we do is dangerous and difficult. We provide the expertise, time, equipment and labor to do the job. Job done, pay me. Why should you wait based on no knowledge of this client? I ask for 50% up front, the other 50% on completion of the job with all new clients. A request for payments over time makes for the possibility of all kinds of hard-luck scenarios: my car blew an engine (the mechanic wanted his money); my furnace broke (the furnace man needed to get paid); my kid got busted for drunk driving and I had to bail him out (the bondsman wouldn't take payments.) Every service provider gets paid. Established clients would not make such a request. It's just not how this business works. For me anyway. And remembers Murphy's Law.

get him to get a cash advance on his credit card if you do not accept cc's. as a last resort you could open up a paypal acct and charge him the 3% and have the charge go to your paypal acct.

I don't advise it either, I am chasing someone now for balance of a stump removal job I did a few months ago. Did the lady a favor and gave her a few paychecks to handle bill and every 2 weeks I get a different story. I don't do it often and rarely get burned but one like this has left a bad taste toward everyone else. Have collected 1/2 of a $400.00 bill and still waiting. If I am installing trees, I will ask for 1/2 up front and the rest upon completion.
Waiting for a business/company to send a check is part of doing business, fronting no interest loans to homeowners is not.

Don't do it!

I have been screwed too many times in my 35 years of being in business. I am always suckered by the sob stories. I had a little old lady burn me last year for 800.00 ! Her check bounced twice. I showed up on her door at 7 in the morning demanding payment and she wrote me another bad check assuring me it was good. Even little old ladies can lie! I want a Contractors S__ __ t list that I can go to to find information about lousy customers! There are plenty of list of complaints about contractors but nothing about customers. I would love to have a list on line of lousy payers or just difficult clients.

Blair

I don't advise you get into that deal. All those pay-out plans we have gotten involved in have just caused misery and hard feelings. Stopped the finance deal about seven years ago.

I saw a sign today that reminded me of this thread. "We are not a lending institution. We do not extend credit so please don't ask" That about sums up my opinion. I'll take payments only if it's people I know AND trust, but even then it's half up front.

Latest posts

Back