Cut Another Load Of Wood Today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawyer Rob

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
And most of it was hard maple. I raised the firewood logs over my wagon with the tractor and my helper cut them into firewood lengths. We started out sawing with my 3/8 chain/16" bar Husky 55, but when we got to the BIG logs, we switched to my 20" bar Jonsered 2260.

When my helper was into the "first" cut with the 2260, he stopped, looked at me and said WOW... lol

standard.jpg

and what a GREAT saw the 2260 is, powering right through these 24" maple blocks!

standard.jpg

and soon we had a wagon load,

standard.jpg

Once home, one of the blocks got away from us, so out came the 2260 to rip it, as it was waaaaay two heavy for even two of us to pick up whole,

standard.jpg

Then it was back to rolling them over a couple boards, from the wagon to the splitter beam, VERY easy to do... Especially with a little extra help from my wife!

standard.jpg

The big blocks averaged four trips through the splitters 4-way, and they were down to "just the right size" for my wood furnace...

It was another very NICE, sunny day here today, in the 50's, so it was GREAT to get out to the woods!

Hope you enjoy the picts...

SR

Thanks guys!

We stopped on Sat. because the "splitter" tractor started running out of fuel... SO, Sunday I bought more fuel and dumped it in this morning, and finished up.

Here's the last piece going through the splitter,

standard.jpg

We ended up with a pretty decent pile of splits,

standard.jpg

I have more firewood logs skidded out, so soon I will have to get back to them and cut another load!

SR

Thanks again guys,

Sunny 46* here today and we have already started filling the half cord boxes I build, with the maple splits,

standard.jpg

and I'm going to need a lot of them! lol

standard.jpg

As we fill them, I move them to where they will stay until "seasoned", for next years heating season,

standard.jpg

As I "feel like it" I build a few more, as it's nice having plenty of them around.

SR

SR Nice, do you think there is enough wood in that box to fill a regular toyota pickup bed just thrown in?

Thanks again guys,

Sunny 46* here today and we have already started filling the half cord boxes I build, with the maple splits,

standard.jpg

and I'm going to need a lot of them! lol

standard.jpg

As we fill them, I move them to where they will stay until "seasoned", for next years heating season,

standard.jpg

As I "feel like it" I build a few more, as it's nice having plenty of them around.

SR
hey sawyer roblucky to have the wife helping you, good on her bro

What wood do you use for the boxes?
Usually, pine, spruce or aspen, but usually pine. Really, it depends on what logs I'm getting at the time,

standard.jpg

that I think will make the needed lumber...

standard.jpg

Even the low grade logs make GREAT 2x4's to build with,

standard.jpg

and it doesn't take long to get a pile of them,

standard.jpg

The 4x4's that are "screwed" to the bottom to hold the boxes off the ground, they are pressure treat lumber...

SR

And most of it was hard maple. I raised the firewood logs over my wagon with the tractor and my helper cut them into firewood lengths. We started out sawing with my 3/8 chain/16" bar Husky 55, but when we got to the BIG logs, we switched to my 20" bar Jonsered 2260.

When my helper was into the "first" cut with the 2260, he stopped, looked at me and said WOW... lol

standard.jpg

and what a GREAT saw the 2260 is, powering right through these 24" maple blocks!

standard.jpg

and soon we had a wagon load,

standard.jpg

Once home, one of the blocks got away from us, so out came the 2260 to rip it, as it was waaaaay two heavy for even two of us to pick up whole,

standard.jpg

Then it was back to rolling them over a couple boards, from the wagon to the splitter beam, VERY easy to do... Especially with a little extra help from my wife!

standard.jpg

The big blocks averaged four trips through the splitters 4-way, and they were down to "just the right size" for my wood furnace...

It was another very NICE, sunny day here today, in the 50's, so it was GREAT to get out to the woods!

Hope you enjoy the picts...

SR
a LITTLE extra help :dizzy:. we want her reply to that!!!!

Latest posts

Back