Cutting a Dutchman

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The dutchman is pretty fun indeed, but when you loose your momentum on the swing, it can really suck. I use them on certain situations, but never near the road, crummy, or RMZ's. Hey Bushler, have you ever seen guys saw a "relief" into the stump, boring down into the one side below a corner into the roots, to get some tension off?

Burvol, funny you asked that, I did just a couple days ago, and while thinking about how I should get the camera....the tree rocked over and set down on my saw bar. By the time I got that tree on the ground I was hating. At one point I had one saw bar (minus motor cuz I thought the sucker might come over the stump), three wedges, and the back up saw, all stuck.

I used my third saw to cut the offending root, and rocked the chain.

rule #9. Never take a camera to work....

Mr Murphy

Sounds like some of my days! You know that when the s&!^ starts hitting the fan it just keeps flying till your blood pressure it self could be used to power a jack for the offending #0d Da%n son-ova B*$}h tree!!!

Burvol, funny you asked that, I did just a couple days ago, and while thinking about how I should get the camera....the tree rocked over and set down on my saw bar. By the time I got that tree on the ground I was hating. At one point I had one saw bar (minus motor cuz I thought the sucker might come over the stump), three wedges, and the back up saw, all stuck.

I used my third saw to cut the offending root, and rocked the chain.

rule #9. Never take a camera to work....

If you didn't get stuck once in a while you'd be retired.

Once we pulled a cedar on the cutting line that leaned over the creek. It was good sized and pretty much fell apart into slabs when it hit the ground. I had to get a buck in it to yard it and it had a good deal of bind. Before it was over I had every saw on the claim out on the rigging. At one time I had 4 stuck and was using the last saw we had. It started pinching in the middle of the cut and I barely got it out.

Latest posts

Back