Cutting a leaning and dying tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wademacneil

Reaction score
Hi

I was asked to cut and remove a dying tree. It's a ~ 40' tall, dying Aspen tree (Populus tremula). There are still a few leaves on a branch up there but the rest seems pretty dead. The trunk is about 12" diameter.

Problem is, the tree is located on a cell tower site on the side of the road, surrounded by the road, the tower fence and electrical lines going to the tower building. The tree is leaning a bit towards 110/220 electrical lines so if it breaks, it will hit the lines.

I need to cut it so it falls on the opposite side of the lean.

My plan is to climb up to the tallest point my ladder can reach and attach a rope on it. Then have someone gently pull as I make a cut in the direction I want it to fall.

Is it the way to go?

I'm new to tree cutting so your tips are more than welcome. By the way my company is fully insured. Tree work is not normally on my field of work.

Thanks!
Wade

Last edited:
http://www.arboristsite.com/arborist-101/238228.htm

We just covered leaners pretty good on this post. Seriously, though, why not just sub it out? If you do other work for this company, why jeopardize that relationship by risking taking out the power to their cell site? On a 12" trunk the margin of error is pretty small between a good cut and a bad one.

Good luck, Jeff

By making a cut on the direction you want it to fall what do you mean.

You will need to notch the tree in the direction you want it to fall, then with your rope in a secure, strong location (not the top really, more to it than that) apply pressure to the tree as you make your back cut which possibly should be a bore cut (probably in the above linked vid). If you don't understand they physics behind the cuts and pressures involved, you may seek professional help, With the Tree!

Ohh yes, pictures, you see we are all dorks and want to see what you are talking about so we can fantasize about cutting it down.

Thanks for the tips.

Jeff, I thought about subbing it out but I went back to the site today as I had some equipment to install. I'm definitely gonna cut it.

And to woodchuck: It was not a fake post. People come here and post fake threads? Wow.

Thanks for the tips.

Jeff, I thought about subbing it out but I went back to the site today as I had some equipment to install. I'm definitely gonna cut it.

And to woodchuck: It was not a fake post. People come here and post fake threads? Wow.

Well, in that case, good luck, and don't have them pull gently, have em pull like hell, and don't cut through your hinge!

Put that rope about 3/4ths of the way up the stem and like Jollylogger said, leave some holding wood! You might want to spend a little bit of time "researching" felling opposite the lean before you fire up your saw... Oh and if this is your first time, I'm either impressed or very concerned...

:popcorn:

Maybe have a friend(one not participating in the fall)take a video so you can share it with us later...we love that kind of thing!

Best o' luck, be safe!

Oh! And chaps, a hard hat, some safety glasses, and some ear protection would look great in the vid!

Last edited:
What about pulling it over root ball and all? Might be more controllable.

But I don't know anything about aspens.

Tarry on.

I've been in Texas too long, forgot how little aspen were, you'll be fine .

Probably, and probably, but Aspens can be a bit persnickety...put me in a conifer any day. And ladders don't particularly get along with Aspens too well...:hmm3grin2orange:

Hey Jeff, always enjoy your input! You are one of the wise ones! :cheers:

Keep it comin,
Marcus

same advice as to the dude that wants to build a scaffold up a pine

Find a half dozen half dead leaning aspens, take them down opposite the lean, then do the one that could get into power lines if things go wrong.

I started my career outside Denver, 15 yrs, so no stranger to aspens, loved em, easy money. Just find a 15 year old neighborhood. Everybody plants em, and around Denver at that elevation they're about a 15 year tree. But I've been in Texas ever since Ike, so I forgot how little they were. Good holding wood, but they will chair if you over pull em.

Dig around the root flare and look for rot,conks, and blackened bark they are notorious for Armillaria ostoyae a fungi that causes bazil rot, and I have seen a declining aspen with the rot, have little to no holding wood in the center. Will flop like Lebron James lol.
Symptoms include die back, un timely defoliation,and chlorosis of the leafs, black coating at root flare, and white rot in core of trunk.
Paul

Back