Cutting cookies........

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Alpha1

100% USDA Certified Abnormality-Free.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Okay, so most of you already know I make fun of the event and such. I come from a long line of relatives that worked in the logging and timber industry. Some still do I think, but not many.

My father logged at one time and spent many a year behind the handle of a chainsaw, as well as the steering wheel of a logging truck.

I simply cannot recall him, or any relative for that matter, cutting cookies and timing their cuts. Sure, I was much younger at the time, but I still don't remember.

I sure can say w/o any hesitation that they didn't place any value in such a practice back in those days. Sure, I went to some "Lumber Jack" days and timed log cutting events took place in various forms. Adults drinking came in a close 2nd.

So, is cookie cutting a recent thing with the advent of the hand-held recording device technology? Is there more to it that I'm not aware of? Do any of you actually base the purchase of a saw solely by how many 1/10 th's of a second faster that one saw might be perceived to be over another?

And if one model of saw cuts a wee bit faster than the other, and if you are out in the field actually using that saw in question, how much shorter is your day made? Does it off-set you sitting on a stump for 15 min. taking a break?

Help out a guy here who is kind of struggling to understand something so silly.

Cutting cookies is about having a somewhat even playing field for comparing chain saw power head and chain saw chain performance.

I'm sure if they could they would use a standard log or cant for such competitions but such wood is difficult to come by. Sometimes the best they can do is thin cuts on the same log to provide equal loads when cutting.

Saws have been being hopped up since well before most of us were born.
Another thing people don't know is that the cylinders and pistons are mass produced by multiple molds and they all have accumulated flaws that pass by quality control undetected.
I'm confused how the purpose of video documenting before and after progress, or the performance of a saw is even a question unless it is only an insult disguised as a question.

I'm not in the firewood or logging business so I cut cookies to conserve the logs my logger friends are nice enough to bring me.

Who cares really. I don't do cookies either but I occasionally enjoy watching the videos. There are a lot of different folks on here with a lot of different interests. I think that's what makes this forum interesting, not conforming to a narrow mindset as to what to do with your own saw.

My buddy was hired to cut a locust log into cookies so the people use them as stepping stones and a floor in this mesh tent. They put them in like puzzle pieces and it looks awesome after some rearranging. He cut 120 cookies in an hour and a half with a Stihl ms271.

Attachments

• IMG_20140725_182550870_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20140725_182550870_HDR.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 51
I haven't cut any cookies until I got me my PS-7900 (2014.).
Now I like to cut cookies for the joy of having all my senses overflown with the radiant aura of a well tuned strong saw running WOT ripping through a log like a hot knife through butter. :baba:

I like my firewood to be rather uniform, so I try to keep any cookies at a minimum even though they end up in my fireplace or find another purpose anyway.

I cut cookies for fun when I don't have a pile of logs to buck, the additional chips are not going to waste as they too tend to find their purpose.

Some nice looking cookies are kept for display, some of which have awaken interest of visitors and ended up being gifted away. ;)

About a dozen of these found new homes this winter!
DSC02240.JPG DSC02243.JPG

I have a tree guy that gives me wood occasionally, I have to cut cookies to make the pieces fit my stove because his estimation of 18-20" is closer to 24-30". Never timed the cuts and sucks when I have a day of splitting and stacking planned but have to cut what I call stackf*****s. All burns and is free so the beers quell the ******** I guess!

I cut several cookies for my neighbors, who used them for decoration during a wedding ceremony. I'm going to be doing some pyrography this spring and summer and will be cutting several for my own use. I can't think of any other reason for this.

I have a tree guy that gives me wood occasionally, I have to cut cookies to make the pieces fit my stove because his estimation of 18-20" is closer to 24-30". Never timed the cuts and sucks when I have a day of splitting and stacking planned but have to cut what I call stackf*****s. All burns and is free so the beers quell the ******** I guess!
The times that he gives you wood is it because of what he's wearing or does he just look better.

Latest posts

Back