Cutting dead elm tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EXCALIBER

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Cutting down a dead elm before it took out the power lines. Trying a new chain instead of the usual chain I use. New at this, first video, so I guess let me have the good, bad, and ugly! What do you guys think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3KIJUtKd7Y
---------------------------------
Husky 55 Rancher
Dolmar 7900
Swisher 22ton splitter

Last edited:
You were scaring me a little the way were holding that saw towards the end of making your notch. Stay on the right side the saw when your cutting.

Be Careful!!!

I'm not a safety guru by any means, but I would have cleared out some of that underbrush. Stumbling around while making a cut isn't too safe if you need to exit in a hurry.

I also noticed you made your bottom cut with the top side of your bar. I see no need for you to cut that way. Next time cut with the bottom/pulling side of your bar. Try making your notch a little lower on the trunk too it will be easier. I usaully cut at waist height if i can, where I have more control of the saw.

Last edited:
I'll second what NC and KD stated and also add that using your chainbrake when walking around ( especially in thick underbrush ) is always a good idea. Once you start to make a habit of it you don't really lose much time. :cheers:

Well thanks for the input. NC your right about the saw position:bowdown:, and the reason for the high notch was that tree had another large trunk that was leaning the opposite direction, but you couldn't see that in the video:bang:. I made the cut as low as I could just above the crotch. The reason for cutting the notch with the top of the bar was I couldn't get a comfortable body position to cut with the bottom of the bar (the way I usually do) and could not access the other side of the tree due to the other trunk of the tree being right there. Well thanks guys good info and now time to practice some of your pointers. :chainsawguy:

Dawgs

By using the saw when cutting with the bottom of the bar or side of bar facing down, you utilize the dawgs or cutter spikes to get more leverage. Cheers and Happy Cutting. I hope that wasn't you saying timber.... Joking

Lol, No it wasn't me, that was my gf who I bribed into filming me, then I had to spend all the rest of the day shopping for christmas while promising not to say anything about a dead tree, firewood, chainsaws, ect. It was a tough day!

Lol, No it wasn't me, that was my gf who I bribed into filming me, then I had to spend all the rest of the day shopping for christmas while promising not to say anything about a dead tree, firewood, chainsaws, ect. It was a tough day!

Ahh she'll get use to it. One thing she will never get use to is the chips in the pants pockets. That's why when I am standing in one spot talking to customers or... I am usually emptying the pocket dust..makes a mess of the wash machine.

Back