Cutting firewood and getting older....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well since I injured my back 6 years ago, I have learned to do things as Best and as Easy as possible. When the tree is down, I use my Tractor and Loader with a 6 Tine Bucket for loading Manure, to lift the tree high enough, that I don't have to get down, or bend over to cut.
Once the tree is all cut up, I get one of my other tractors, with the Wood Splitter on the back, that runs off the Hydraulic System of the Tractor. As I pick up the blocks of wood, that don't need splitting, I pile them one the on the Manure Bucket, as much as it can hold, and haul it to another Tractor with an old Manure Spreader that I have removed the Back Beaters from.
I left the Apron in, and that makes it like a Walking Floor for unloading the wood. I then dump the wood in, and go back for more wood with the Loader Tractor.
As I unload the Old Spreader, I grab the wood from the back, and pile the wood, until I can't reach any more wood. I start the PTO, and let the Apron bring the wood to the back of the spreader, and unload and pile the wood away. I keep doing this process, until the Spreader is empty.
I'll try to post some Pictures to show my Old Spreader. Bruce.

Well since I injured my back 6 years ago, I have learned to do things as Best and as Easy as possible. When the tree is down, I use my Tractor and Loader with a 6 Tine Bucket for loading Manure, to lift the tree high enough, that I don't have to get down, or bend over to cut.
Once the tree is all cut up, I get one of my other tractors, with the Wood Splitter on the back, that runs off the Hydraulic System of the Tractor. As I pick up the blocks of wood, that don't need splitting, I pile them one the on the Manure Bucket, as much as it can hold, and haul it to another Tractor with an old Manure Spreader that I have removed the Back Beaters from.
I left the Apron in, and that makes it like a Walking Floor for unloading the wood. I then dump the wood in, and go back for more wood with the Loader Tractor.
As I unload the Old Spreader, I grab the wood from the back, and pile the wood, until I can't reach any more wood. I start the PTO, and let the Apron bring the wood to the back of the spreader, and unload and pile the wood away. I keep doing this process, until the Spreader is empty.
I'll try to post some Pictures to show my Old Spreader. Bruce.

That spreader is a great idea!

Harry K

I wonder how well orange snow fence would work for the bags.

The street dept. uses quite a bit of it when doing repairs or to fence off the park for car shows or artsy stuff that requires an admission.

I'm sure I could figure out something to thread through the holes to join the ends and a way to stand it upright while filling them. If the wood is stacked 3 feet high instead of piled it will hold 40 cubic feet. Thats a touch over 1/3 cord. Seems do-able if you have a way to move and load the pallets.

Go on easy on the newbie/first post on Arboristsite. I'm only 31 but I fully understand not wanting to tear yourself up. I have an old 10 yard dump truck I stack my split wood in and park it real close to my back door before snow starts flying. The wood is covered up and off the ground. Works out great. Nothing like going five feet off my back porch and tossing wood down a chute to the basement. Stupid dump stopped dumping so this is the best use I can come up with for a non-working dump truck.You all like that idea?

I wonder how well orange snow fence would work for the bags.

The street dept. uses quite a bit of it when doing repairs or to fence off the park for car shows or artsy stuff that requires an admission.

I'm sure I could figure out something to thread through the holes to join the ends and a way to stand it upright while filling them. If the wood is stacked 3 feet high instead of piled it will hold 40 cubic feet. Thats a touch over 1/3 cord. Seems do-able if you have a way to move and load the pallets.

just thread a piece of pipe through the holes and 'knit' it together... and for making it stand.. how bout some sort of stand with either those spring clamps ot a hook at the top to hold it up?

I use a similar system but with pallet forks. It's a real back saver to buck a log well suspended off the ground. I get the log as close to the splitter as possible and then it's walk back and forth so it stays balanced. Once it's all bucked just herd the rounds ever closer to the splitter. Still trying to work out a way to avoid picking up the split chunks and tossing them into the truck. I tried scooping them up with the loader but I get a lot of dirt too (also a smashed rear window). I like the spreader idea.

I use a similar system but with pallet forks. It's a real back saver to buck a log well suspended off the ground. I get the log as close to the splitter as possible and then it's walk back and forth so it stays balanced. Once it's all bucked just herd the rounds ever closer to the splitter. Still trying to work out a way to avoid picking up the split chunks and tossing them into the truck. I tried scooping them up with the loader but I get a lot of dirt too (also a smashed rear window). I like the spreader idea.

You guys with your fancy front end systems make me sick. Yeah, I'm green with envy.

Looks good. I hope to get a front end loader someday. ;)

Latest posts

Back