cutting firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jrclen

jrclen

ArboristSite Operative
Those of us who hunt deer over at my wife's aunt's farm got together last Saturday and cut and split her firewood for next year. The women moved the wood we cut last year inside the shed, filling it for this year. Then we cut, split, and stacked the pile for next year.

The first picture is my Homelite with a 20" bar sitting on a white oak stump. There was a lot of wood in that tree and was the first for the day.

The next picture is after a days work. The wood is stacked for next year.

The last picture is an example of what we hope to see come November. The picture was taken with a trail cam. He is a nice one.

photo080671elvinasfirewood.jpg

photo080673elvinasfirewood.jpg

79.jpg

AOD

Addicted to ArboristSite
Nice work. Did you fell that big oak with the 240?

Also, might wanna stack your wood up on skids, leaving it sit right on the ground will make the bottom pieces punky in a year, also getting air to the bottom of the stack will help it dry. I even go as far as to trim weeds away from the bottom of stacks to make sure air can get under the wood.

KsWoodsMan

KsWoodsMan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Nothing wrong with those stacks from here. Looks like it will be enough to keep her house warm next Winter. I doubt it will rot before Spring when she gets it moved into the dry shed. Good for you guys helping her out for hunting rights.

Nice Buck in the pic, good luck !!!!

Anybody want to guess how much burnable firewood is in there ? hee hee hee

toddstreeservic

toddstreeservic

ArboristSite Guru
Nothing wrong with those stacks from here. Looks like it will be enough to keep her house warm next Winter. I doubt it will rot before Spring when she gets it moved into the dry shed. Good for you guys helping her out for hunting rights.

Nice Buck in the pic, good luck !!!!

Anybody want to guess how much burnable firewood is in there ? hee hee hee

My guess is all of it is burnable!

jrclen

jrclen

ArboristSite Operative
Thanks for the comments. The oak won't rot sitting on the ground for a year. The bottom layer gets a little dirty but not to bad here in sand country. Yes I fell the oak with the 240. That saw has done well for almost 20 years. So well that I went out and bought a new Homelite last year. Big mistake. It is Chinese junk. Homelite in name only. It has been in the shop more than in the woods. I have decided to buy a new Stihl in spring. I used my step-sons wood boss 270 this summer to cut my 10 plus cord. Great saw.

Our camera got pictures of 6 big bucks this year. This one was the nicest. My grandson is still drooling.

woodbooga

woodbooga

cords of mystic memory
Thanks for the comments. The oak won't rot sitting on the ground for a year. The bottom layer gets a little dirty but not to bad here in sand country. Yes I fell the oak with the 240. That saw has done well for almost 20 years. So well that I went out and bought a new Homelite last year. Big mistake. It is Chinese junk. Homelite in name only. It has been in the shop more than in the woods. I have decided to buy a new Stihl in spring. I used my step-sons wood boss 270 this summer to cut my 10 plus cord. Great saw.

Our camera got pictures of 6 big bucks this year. This one was the nicest. My grandson is still drooling.

The older 240s are great firewood saws. Mine is identical to yours and does pretty much what I need it to do. Ran a newer one a pal has a month ago. Like night and day.
:mad: