Cutting Lightning Struck Trees (Myths and Facts)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it's a fact that if you cut down a tree that has been struck by lightning, you yourself will be struck by lightning in the next storm, unless you cover your belly button with sticky tape.

My inner gaming geek was appeased with this remark:
"The tree has channeled sky-fire (lightning), adding extra fire to it (by throwing in into the fireplace) and will overbalance the amount of fire present. "

Well I have heard numerous times about the lighting struck tree not being able to burn "myth". I say myth because so far they have all burnt well for me. I can personally tell you that on some rare occasions you will run in to a tree that will be as hard to cut as a rock. We cut a 30" oak several years ago that the heart of it would dull a chain as soon as it touched it. It took 4 chains and 45 min swapping out 2 saws "sharpen one while the other was trying to cut" to cut through just a few inches of wood. Finally got everything cut around it, took a tractor to break what little bit of wood was left. I don't know that the whole trunk was like this because the folks we cut it for were going to cut it up for themselves for firewood. I drove after a month and everything was gone except the log. Finally it left to but I don't know if they pulled it off with a tractor or got it cut up. Anyways to sum it all up, you can run into some weird stuff cutting trees that have been struck.

I heard if lightning hits a Dogwood Tree, it turns to gold!!!

I've cut up several trees, ash, oak, pine that have been hit and they cut fine and burned fine. Must be Missouri trees that are not affected....

I've got a picture somewhere of a tulip tree that was hit by lightning about 1/2 hour before my friend and I walked by. It took us a second to figure out what all the broken and splintered wood was that was scattered all over the road and sidewalk. Then we saw the tree, it had obviously been struck and had a pretty section of the top blown apart and had splits all the way to the ground. It makes sense that they can blow apart considering the amount of energy that is discharged in a lightning strike. It can flash boil the water in the tree, turning it to steam instantly and causing it to explode.

I'd be very hesitant to climb one to dismantle it. I'd be much more comfortable just throwing some ratchet straps on it and dumping it in one shot.

I heard if lightning hits a Dogwood Tree, it turns to gold!!!

I've cut up several trees, ash, oak, pine that have been hit and they cut fine and burned fine. Must be Missouri trees that are not affected....

nah! those up here in the northwest part of the state, at least in my neighborhood, cut and burn just fine. lots of interesting comments though. just sayin

I've been having a field day cutting lots of lightning killed white oak,the tract I cut on is surrounded by large farm fields and this spot is just a bit higher than the fields, the land owner thinks thats why the lightning keeps hitting this spot.

I have so far 10 large white oaks with the black scorces all the way down . The wood is a LOT harder on the chains than red oak, about like black locust that is dried a bit. (not sure if that is the nature of white oak or due to the lightning.)

The last one had a double trunk so I had to build up a platform to stand on to reach above the "vee". I used some maple rounds and used a rachet strap to hold them together but it was still not the greatest footing, and this oak was big about 26" on each stem.

I hate that I can't get a wrap handle for the stihl 440 just because I live in the east, this does not make sense at all.

My late father-in-law, who grew up in the Ozarks and did a lot of woodworking, told me that lumber cut from a lightning-struck tree could not be finished nicely, as the grain would frizz up. Maybe that's why it may be harder to split.

Back