cutting poison ivy vines

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That stuff does not bother me at all i been around it before and never got touched by it

Looks like a skill that would be in high demand that you could profit from....

To help you out, I have composed an ad to get you started. Just cut and paste this to your local Craigslist(s) and you are in business.

Poison ivy/oak removal

Do you have poison ivy or poison oak vines in your yard? Are your pets running through it and then leaving the oils on your skin? While herbicides may kill the plants, the oils in the dead vines remain potent for years and are a hazard to your family.

I will pull and dig all unwanted vines as well as remove them from your shrubs, trees and buildings. Enjoy the relaxed feeling of knowing that your yard will not be the source of itching and misery this plant brings.

Call today for fast removal and begin enjoying your yard again.

Last edited:
Carb cleaner works for me when I get it on my legs, arms and hands. NOT brave enough to spray it on my taters and meat if I ever get it there.......

The north coast is covered in P'Oak, it grows within sight of the ocean and gets worse as you go inland. Poison Oak is a fact of life here, not much can be done without being near it.

im bad allergic to the poison ivy. I use a little bleach on a wash cloth. just scratch the hell out of it before you get in the shower take your jug o bleach and scrub away. no itch in about an hour and then gone in three days.

One of my neighbors (who owned the house before the neighbor with the watermelon allergy bought it) was very careful around poison ivy. He wore HD gloves, a thick long sleeved shirt, & HD overalls over his trousers when removing PI. He would cut, pull, & then pile the PI in a safe place before he treated the roots.

After he finished he would carefully remove the 'infected' clothing and have his wife wash them separately. One time he forgot what he was working with, and laid his gloves on a tree stump, just like he had done a thousand times before. He later sat on the same tree stump, of course after he had removed his overalls. Yep, he had a severe breakout on his behind.

I rarely have a problem with PI or PO, but you guys are making me uneasy. I will be keeping an eye out for the stuff and staying away. I had no idea it was still potent in the winter.

Thanks for the info,
Marty

I rarely have a problem with PI or PO, but you guys are making me uneasy. I will be keeping an eye out for the stuff and staying away. I had no idea it was still potent in the winter.

Thanks for the info,
Marty

Actually, the urishol is more concentrated when the nasty things go dormant.

We prune all winter(30,000 some Blueberry bushes), and remove the invaders like PI. Virginia creeper etc..

Loppers, saws, everything, gets spritzed with Ether, clothes pre-soaked before washing, double washed, and we still manage to have a running case of the crud until the pruning stops.
It's a fact of life around here.

If it's a hairy vine, treat it like nuclear waste. LOL!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

only mildly allergic

I have & still intend to whack some vines with an axe this winter, more clothes
on, closed pores & less exposure, then back off & spray with Crossbow, 2-4-D, or glyphospate in the spring. If I had Valspar, I would use it too, but herbicides around crops or gardens will kill them too.

I know a couple that got amorous in nature a few years ago, he had to
go in for treatment, some folks are more allergic than others.

Back