cutting railroad ties

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would reconsider, too. Maybe you could get him to come up with a saw, but not having one is probably why he's asking you to do.

Maybe he could rent one?

All things considered I just would'nt want to use any of my saws cutting railroad ties.Rental seems like the best option mentioned to me.

Rick

I go with the guys saying 'don't do it'. I completely fenced 2 acres with ties used as both corner and line. Didn't have to cut any of them but did a lot of cutting trimming braces, terrace ties, etc over the years. I figured one cut with a sharp chain and then chew through whatever cuts are left. The problem is not, as has been pointed out, the irons or spikes, it is the embedded gravel which cannotn be cleaned out. The creosote also gums up things. I would not ever cut a tie for someone else.

Harry K

If you must do it,tell the person you will lunchout chain and sprocket,and do no good to the bar.tell him you want a new chain and sprocket rim.Put your oldest crappiest bar and chain on and file often.after every cut spray wd-40 on running chain to keep crap loose.---frank

Back