Cutting some oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Out to Tim's to continue the clean-up. Seems he had a bit of a windstorm. Big branch broke out of the top of white oak. This was my second shot at cleanign it up. Tain't often one gets to cut real hardwood out here.

Day one I cleared up almost all the brush - to loads worth, hauled off and added to a bushpile. In the process manage to run over my 'brushing' saw; 192t. Cracked the clutch cover, broke the brake handle, bent the bar. Fortunately I had a spare bar from the first 192T it ran over - that was the only salvage from that saw - and a new cover put me back in business.

Day 2 started by using the dozer (pic 3) to pull the branch free, it was still weakly attached at the broken end:

Limb_zpsopuqhsyl.jpg

That pic was after I was about 1/2 done with the bucking.

limb2_zpsdgo239ck.jpg

After getting almost all the brush on the truck with pile building inthe background and a small load of brush onthe truck

pile_zpsdnpsmntx.jpg

Nice pile of good oak firewood, about 1/4 cord. Not bad for one branch out of a tree plus another small branch from a neighboring tree it brought down with it.

That grove has some amazing marketable timber in it. I'd be logging it off if it was mine.

I would take a load of oak like that

In the process of cleaning up all the deadfall, I have built a pile over a cord. Farmer thinks his son "may" use it. I am in it for the work/exercise and am not taking any more wood. I did take about a cord of Red Fir at the beginning.

Next time I see him I will suggest he sell it on Craig's list. I hve no idea what to charge for oak out here. Never have seen any advertised.

In the process of cleaning up all the deadfall, I have built a pile over a cord. Farmer thinks his son "may" use it. I am in it for the work/exercise and am not taking any more wood. I did take about a cord of Red Fir at the beginning.

Next time I see him I will suggest he sell it on Craig's list. I hve no idea what to charge for oak out here. Never have seen any advertised.
Oak around here is about the best firewood you can get. If you are buying, it brings a premium.

Back