Cutting speed of square ground

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,
I'm not gonna join the sword fight but you got my full attention with this square stuff. Specifically the details of filing it. All I know is it sounds somewhat mythical. Hows it done? I'm all ears.

Bullittman

Burvol wasn't being a #### about anything. He was trying to help you out, and if you can't take a little ribbing then your in the wrong place. You'd think that someone who used this chain everyday would know a thing or two:dizzy: Do a search for square ground or square filing, there are plenty of pics of sharp square ground on here.
I'm still trying to figure out how you got that type of cutter with a square file:confused:

The first thing I learned about square chains is that they are more like a fine knife compared to a clever.The only real benefit I have seen is a full skip in very big wood.Stuff under 16 inches not much difference that I can tell.I can tell you as most that use them a lot can also tell you the learning curve is long,took me about 3 to 4 loops to really get it figured out.I started by putting a piece of white paper behind the cutter so I could really see the angles well the corners, they have to meet perfectly,and you probably will bump the tie straps once in a while.I only use the square chain when I know there will be a benifit.Hope it helps. Just my opinion of course

Sorry buddy but it looks like you have made a dogs breakfast of sharpening that chain. The side of the cutter should be near verticle.
I agree, he really fudged that chain up if it was square ground, it looks nothing like square ground chain, it doesn't even resemble it. If anything it looks like a butchered up RSC now, and butchered is probably a nice way of putting it.

This is what it looks like new (from the Stihl site), compare it to the garbage you ended up with.

chain_RSLK.gif

I'm not sure if he wanted help or if he wanted us to all line up and say how awful square ground chain is.:confused:

Either way, if he invested in the chain and in the files it is a shame to see them wasted. Maybe he could send them to me and I'll try to diagnose what he is doing wrong. I'll do this free of charge, out of the goodness of my heart, just to save him the trouble of dealing with them.:hmm3grin2orange:

Mr. HE:cool:

Its not like I took a chain, molested it and called it junk.
Actually, that seems exactly what you did.

First, I am no expert, but I do use square ground chain, and have both Oregon and Stihl.

The most important thing to realize about square ground is that it will dull faster than any other chain in wood that is not clean. If your cutting wood with bark on it, and especially wood that has dirt on it of any type, square is going to go dull faster.

That said, I use the square ground chain I have on timber that has been debarked, and is completely clean, aside from some grey/mold, but I can clean that off if I want with decking cleaner. It doesn't effect the cutting though. My guess is that you are NOT using it on clean wood, so it goes dull quickly. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

I think the Stihl square ground RSLK (and family styles, skip, half skip, full skip, etc...) is sharp from the factory, at least my experience with it over Oregon 72CL.

FWIW, this does pretty much sum it up...nobody told you to use a square wheel to replace a round wheel, did they? You even admitted to not being able to file it correctly...geesh...:givebeer: And it's not just about speed, it's about the cleanliness of the cut, but your probably cutting firewood anyway, so what does it matter???

glug17.jpg

Jeff066, the easiest thing to do is to get a couple of new square filed cutters or a new loop to look at and place the file in the cutters until you have lined up the file in such a manner that it will produce a similar shape. It is hard to tell from the photo but it looks as though the corner of the file is not in the correct place and both angles are off. Get some light on the cutters and file so you can see. Put a magnifying glass on it if you need to. It is a different than round filing as round filing will produce a workable cutter with all sorts of angles, angle consistency through the file stroke and skill levels, square not so much.

Picky people will file a new square ground chain because there is room for improvement from the factory.

The round filed example you showed is a fairly typical aggressive shaped cutter. The consistency of the angles through the stroke of the file that you have in that chain will be hard to produce a sharp long lasting square chisel.

To fix the square in the photo and to get used to holding and producing a cut corner start your filing from the inside edge and finish from the outside in. Do that and if the corner between the vertical and horizontal cutting edges line up with out a beak then your good to go.

Light touch with control. If you are sharpening the chain in the bar then tighten the chain up tight to help control chatter and find a place in the bar that is best for you and move the cutters to the same place instead of you changing body position.

Edit-ting to add-from your photo:
The angle/corner that is on the lower vertical part of the cutter needs to be located between the top plate and side plate. In your photo if you drew a straight line from the outside corner of where the top of the cutter and side of the cutter meet to the inside of where they meet that would be where you want an angle/corner. What you have now is basically a single angle creating a wedge shape with very little actual sharp cutting edge and zero sharp cutting corner.

I hope that makes sense. Good luck.

Last edited:
Hey man, don't be bummed about square. It's a great tool to have but too much trouble if you don't treat it like it should be; clean wood.

It's made for one thing, and one thing only: Falling and bucking clean timber. That's it's intended use, period.

I have a grinder, so I can use square with out the hassle. I think you'd be better off to buy a grinder, then you'll be in a whole different world. First time you get to feel "real sharp" and your hooked.

Traditional TOOL Perhaps you should hire yourself one of those rocket scientists to help you read, maybe then you would realize the second pic IS rsc.

2nd pic shows junk Oregon chain not Stihl RSC?....
I don't know why you come on here with only 17 post and a big attitude?..
Maybe you need to find another site to post on?...:monkey:

That's too bad, I really wanted to see the outside of the cutter. It looked like the corner was low, but if it was cutting well maybe we could have learned something from it.

Sure did! Too many peckerheads on here, so I deleted everything. And yes you are correct, that is an oregon chain, a simple typo on my end.

I have a very, very dry sense of humor. I just stated the truth. We can help you if you would quit resisting. LOL

Listen to what the #### I just told you:

Square chain is made for ONE THING ONLY; falling and bucking clean timber.

Now if you want to learn, just be patient and we will help you out.

jeffo66 Listen the guys on here have been cutting forever!!! They will not bs you but you have to be able to take a joke!:greenchainsaw: The longer you are a member here the more you will learn about square chain and it wont be in one day! Good luck with your chain and hope you stay around.:cheers: Steve

Latest posts

Back