Cutting the sides of the tree before the back cut ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saddle

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I climb and usually only fell medium sized trees around here. I noticed some of the logging videos on YouTube show the loggers cutting down the sides of the tree, prior to the back cut. What's the purpose of this? I'm referring to larger trees

I climb and usually only fell medium sized trees around here. I noticed some of the logging videos on YouTube show the loggers cutting down the sides of the tree, prior to the back cut. What's the purpose of this? I'm referring to larger trees
Are they cutting the root flares? Reduce pulls on the sides maybe? I've cut root flares / "sides" away to make room for a bore cut. It isn't unusual to see those who cut veneer cut away root flares

It's a good practice, especially on green conifers or other limber trees to either shave or make a small sidecut to prevent the cambium layer from twisting the tree as the hinge breaks...
When cutting trees with stringy bark I usually cut a ring around the tree first through the bark and a little bit of the good wood. It also helps me keep everything lined up when cutting. Anything 18” or larger I’ll do it no matter the species.

Did one to day that ended up getting veneer price, cut hinge in the root flare & cut the root flare on the camera side ( I video'ed this one ) so the 28 inch bar would poke thru. It didn't because of the root flare on the OTHER side. But that one could have been interpreted as cutting the sides I guess. video will eventually follow.

Check this one out for clues :) A channel I happen to like & frequent , he's pretty innovative. But THIS might help answer the original focus here, this fellow is a veneer focused logger. Root flares either get cut on the landing or as part of the felling operations, he's got his deal going pretty efficiently.

Check this one out for clues :) A channel I happen to like & frequent , he's pretty innovative. But THIS might help answer the original focus here, this fellow is a veneer focused logger. Root flares either get cut on the landing or as part of the felling operations, he's got his deal going pretty efficiently.

It is to release tension, yes?
Prevent heart cracks?

@weimedog i was watching a euro fell a large tree with a short bar and under powered saw…took forever to “mill” straight down and take the flares off. I hate cutting with the grain like that. It occurred to me that it would be faster and easier to noodle them off once the tree was down…unless they’re in the way of the felling cuts.

Often do exactly that once on the landing. The exception is when I can't get enough lift on the log when I have to skid a distance THEN it's worth taking the flares right there to both allow the bar to get thru ( Big trees ) and to change the "shape" of the log that might dig in to something more likely to "skid"

Often do exactly that once on the landing. The exception is when I can't get enough lift on the log when I have to skid a distance THEN it's worth taking the flares right there to both allow the bar to get thru ( Big trees ) and to change the "shape" of the log that might dig in to something more likely to "skid"
If skidding from the skinny end/top, the flares might keep the log out of the dirt a bit.

you'reapeeins, new yorkians, same when it comes to cutting :-D

I would nip the sap wood cutting next to a house but not bother in production.

Every tree every log is it's own set of issues. On this last job I pulled some from the small end, some from the big. Depended completely on what was presented and possible with out large amounts of work. So generalizations don't fit this world. One I cut the root flares because the only access I had was from the big end, another I left them on because I could pull from the small.... Have to simply flex to the conditions that exist. That is the point.

Back