Cutting Timber, Safety Rules

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushler

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
We all have our rules we live by, sometimes we short cut and pay dearly. I sure have. There's three rules I try to never short cut:

1. Never cut timber without caulk boots.

2. Never file a chain without gloves.

3. Never break your concentration when running a saw.

There's lots of other rules, what's your favorites? Ignoring the three above personal rules has made me bleed and hurt, and I have scars.

I have a logger friend who one time decided to show me how to "properly" sharpen my chainsaw....

He proceeded to sharpen my "square ground chain" with a "round file" and without gloves. I asked him if he wanted to use my gloves. He said no. I said "Shouldn't you be using a double bevel [flat] file on that chain?" He said "You always use a round file!" OK...

About half way through, he cut a finger. I asked him if he wanted a bandaid. He said yes and I got him one. I asked again if he wanted gloves. He said no...

(I've not taken him cutting since. For some reason he has trouble staying employed! :confused: )

As to the rules I like...

Clear the space around where you will be cutting.

Always watch the tip of your chainsaw (to be sure the top quarter and end do not come in contact with anything).

Done right you can get excellent results filing a chisel chain with a round file, BUT, you need to file out the gullets, and that's where the file can slip and rake a knuckle across the top of the tooth. Yep. And it leaves a scar....

First of chalk boots I don't know if climbing boots qualify:confused:

Never fell a tree until you are 100% sure it is going to do so without
injury, loss of life and property damage.

Never fell a tree with bystanders, ground workers closer than twice
the distance of tree being felled.

Never assume anything.

always stay in tune with surroundings.

Never fell a tree unless there is no good option to save it.

Never stand at the stump always back away in a cleared escape
route and watch for limbs or anything else that may be directed your way.

--never start on a big and/or sketchy tree without a full tank of gas

--there are no second chances with heavy equipment, make sure the operator knows where you are

--protect your eyes and ears with the proper safety equipment, nobody wants to be blind or deaf.. this applies to all safety equipment really

--if you cant start the saw without the decomp, then you shouldnt be using it

--don't get in over your head, if you don't think you are fully capable of finishing the job safely, then find someone who is

I dont run saw for a living anymore, but I work in a dangerous job other than cutting, so safety is an everyday thing, gotta make it home at the end of the day.

Trust is earned.. Not given. Dont care how long the other person says he has been cutting

redlaker;1073848don't get in over your head said:
Probably a little better to say "If you don't think you're fully capable of finishing the job safetly - don't even start". Like you said - don't get in over your head.

I've never put a saw to a tree with the thought that "oh well if I screw up - buddy will bail me out". I've called a falling partner over to watch my ass while I was doing something sketchy and have asked for advice - but wouldn't ever consider putting someone else at risk b/c I tried to tackle something I shouldn't have. I know sh*t happens but part of being a good faller is knowing how to get yourself out of those situations. We've all been there.....you make the mess....you clean it up!

I hate cuttin smaller trees around bigger timber,they always tend to fall in a big limb and hange there.If I had to offer 1 piece of advice,use a machine or a come-a-long to pull down hangers.I hate to see people "piecin" them down.Ive seen trees kick back 40 feet before.

never ever rush

take your time on the face, always make sure it's clean

always always always look up!

These are for logging operations in general.

Let me see, my personal ones are:

When the crew runs, I run. When the crew dives, I dive.

Don't jump, unless it is an emergency.

Don't trust a hooktender who is falling a tree. :) Be ready to run but not jump.

Always have a big stump, tree or hole to hide behind or in when lines start whipping.

Approach the cutters from way around and above and carry glasses or binoculars so you can tell it is a cutter and not an orange piece of flagging. Or a hooktender.

Try not to panic when stuck behind a stuck log truck and two members of the crew are starting to fight..take cover behind a big truck driver.

Carry earplugs and use them when the yarder engineer is teaching the crew the difference between "raise the skyline" and "lower the skyline" by making the yarder whistle blow while crew and you are on the landing.

Carry earplugs for use when the whining factor becomes too much to handle.

Pay attention to footing placement when on the job that has a certain yarder engineer who thinks the road is a toilet.

Have a plan ready. Can I outrun him? Or will I have to kick him in the knees?
when boss is using you as a scapegoat and cutter is very angry and giving you the stink eye.

Don't jump....:)

Last edited:
From a commanding officers wall

I had a commanding officer many years ago who had a sign on his office wall that said: NEVER TEACH A PIG TO SING, IT WASTES YOUR TIME AND ANNOYS THE PIG. I thought that was a good rule, thanks Commander Sloan.

I follow alot of what has been said. My personal rule is if three things go wrong, shut the saw off and go home. This could be cutting myself on a chain I am sharpening, hit a rock or nail with the chain, forget something important, stub my toe, etc. You get the point. Usually by the third thing my blood pressure is way up there so it is time to quit. I am a hobbyist so I have that luxury.

Chris

Always carry donuts to bribe the beaureucrats.

Always be ready to run away. Bravely.

Won't work for this one. However, when somebody brings too many goodies to the bureaucratic office where there are too many circumferencially challenged people, declare it to be Make A Logger Fat Day, and take the goodies out to the unit. Maybe the hooktender will gain weight and be easier to follow. Make sure the boss gets a goodie though.

Rule #1.Screw the job,safety first.

When your fat foreman stands on the tracks of an excavator and starts yelling about why you didnt buck the last 4 dirty trees up,and complains why you have to sharpen your chain with every gas tank.
Level your gaze into his eyes,and tell him with authority,grit and conviction "Go f*&^& yourself...."
consequences be damned.

ak4195

Latest posts

Back