cutting time is upon us. which saw fails to start?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry Dinger....I've left my ts400, br85, and ts400 with fuel in it all winter and they fired up without unicorn farts ;)

Sorry Dinger....I've left my ts400, br85, and ts400 with fuel in it all winter and they fired up without unicorn farts ;)

Yeah, but just try it with that saw.:)

Our Stihl Tiller and Auger both are the same way.
Real blue collar about things, and just don't care about a bit of stale mix.

That Saw hated me from day one when the wife brought it home.LOL!!

It gets used every other week or so in the off season so it's always fueled.
No excuse though. That stupid Toro has been constantly fueled since about 97', and other stuff has too.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Last edited:
I let one saw sit dry for a few months. It was the ONLY one that wouldn't start the other week. It's my old Poulan 306. New kit was put in it last winter. I'll never let another tank dry out, if I can help it.

diagnosis

hey folks, here's the skinny:

after many more pulls with squirts of fuel i popped the carb off and found it to be very clean inside overall and the needle moved freely. though, when i sighted through the seat toward the screen i saw milky light. a shot of 2+2 gumcutter and an offending 'plug' was knocked out and dissolved.
every other orifice was clean and open.:confused: the 'plug' was damned near water-clear. if i didn't know better i'd say that some kind of plastic had broken down in the fuel and congealed after the saw was run dry.

the saw runs fine now.

i add extra oil directly to the fuel tank before i run dry for storage as i thought the oil would leave a nice film on everything inside the saw. i doubt the oil congealed but i would think it would have kept anything else from hardening in the fuel system also.:confused:

idk..........

Last edited:
Tant no biggie, your carb is probably just dried out. Give it a small shot of fuel through the carb. Once she fires and gets to pumping fuel she'll take off, see it all the time with saws that have been run completely empty and put away for months...

:agree2:

Edit, just read the post above mine.

I dont think the oil would have done that, but im not sure either. I have never done that with my own saws. I know that as per Thall, Ive had ones that are hard starts & usually a little squirt of fuel in there will get things going.

Im guessing you may have to do a rebuild if you're seeing buildup in the carb. Is it possible the oil has plugged the fuel line? could you start by just replacing that?

Last edited:
:agree2:

Edit, just read the post above mine.

I dont think the oil would have done that, but im not sure either. I have never done that with my own saws. I know that as per Thall, Ive had ones that are hard starts & usually a little squirt of fuel in there will get things going.

Im guessing you may have to do a rebuild if you're seeing buildup in the carb. Is it possible the oil has plugged the fuel line? could you start by just replacing that?

no need. i forgot to mention above that the saw runs fine now. after i dissolved the slimy plug it started right up.
of note:
there was no other buildup of any kind in the carb.... clean as a whistle.

no need. i forgot to mention above that the saw runs fine now. after i dissolved the slimy plug it started right up.
of note:
there was no other buildup of any kind in the carb.... clean as a whistle.

oh, good! :) I thought you meant it still didnt run after you cleaned up the plug. :) Glad to hear you're back up & running - have fun! :)

Squirt mix bottle is my friend on stale saws

I have to agree with THALL & others, if a 2- stroke engine has been sitting
for a while, try fuel mix down the carburetor throat first, a major time saver
& less likely to lose parts.
Avoid using starting fluid, it is a piston killer & save carburetor cleaner
for gas circuits in the carburetor, useless or worse sprayed down the throat.

my echos never fail to start:cheers::popcorn::popcorn: my signature tells it all and the truth:popcorn:

hhhmmm...
today the 020avp super was cutting great. second tank in and it idled up and stalled. i thought it was the position i had it in (low gas) so i righted it, fueled it, and started it up again and it ran a few minutes and stalled. set it down, try it again 15 mins later and it ran fine and cut for a bit, idled up, stalled, and would not restart.
each time it acted like it was out of gas........................

how much you guys wanna bet theres some kind of slime ball bouncing around inside the carb on this one too?

i am beginning to wonder if my gas can is going gummy/breaking down on the inside or something....
:confused:

Any chance you got water in your gas?
Maybe even water in the gas stations tank.
Ethanol attracts moisture and can produce a substance like that.
I remember when ethanol first started being put in the gas here, a lot of cars sat on the sides of the road with clogged fuel filters.
Of course I could just be passing on bad info that was passed to me.... :spam:

hhhmmm...
today the 020avp super was cutting great. second tank in and it idled up and stalled. i thought it was the position i had it in (low gas) so i righted it, fueled it, and started it up again and it ran a few minutes and stalled. set it down, try it again 15 mins later and it ran fine and cut for a bit, idled up, stalled, and would not restart.
each time it acted like it was out of gas........................

how much you guys wanna bet theres some kind of slime ball bouncing around inside the carb on this one too?

i am beginning to wonder if my gas can is going gummy/breaking down on the inside or something....
:confused:

Check your fuel line,filter, and impulse line before ya go to tearing things apart, and try another batch of fuel.

The wailing about wonky fuel is starting again, and it's about at the same time it started last year. Something about "change over to winter blend additives and storage tanks blah,blah,blah..." Crap fuel eating fuel lines and attacking the seals in certain applications.

If your gas can was good before, it should be fine now though.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Any chance you got water in your gas?
Maybe even water in the gas stations tank.
Ethanol attracts moisture and can produce a substance like that.
I remember when ethanol first started being put in the gas here, a lot of cars sat on the sides of the road with clogged fuel filters.
Of course I could just be passing on bad info that was passed to me.... :spam:

Naw, we had the same thing here when Zephyr started selling Gasohol back in the 80's for 3 cents a gallon less. LOTS of clogged fuel filters and bizzare carb problems. The sled heads had absolute FITS with it.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

3 cents a gallon??

Yeah, 3 cents cheaper. Back then a snickers bar was 40 cents, and gas was outrageous at a buck. 3 cents meant a snickers bar free, every time I filled up the old LeMans...which was about every third day, and twice on Saturdays if we were raising hell and cooking tires LOL!!
3 Cents means a lot at 2 bucks an hour and 8MPG.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Aahh #### yall old mother ####ers, living & reminiscing the old & gold times.

5 gallons of fuel for my three wheeler,(primary transportation at this time) costs me about 45.00 dollars, not to mention close to 20 dollars for 2 bottles of MC-1

I need a ####ING FLYING CARPET. . .

Aahh #### yall old mother ####ers, living & reminiscing the old & gold times.

5 gallons of fuel for my three wheeler,(primary transportation at this time) costs me about 45.00 dollars, not to mention close to 20 dollars for 2 bottles of MC-1

I need a ####ING FLYING CARPET. . .

Just be thankful you dont live in Europe. We have way more expensive gas up here in canada than you guys, but its nothing compared to the last time I was over in the mother-country. Even in poor eastern european countries it was twice what we paid here (nearly 3x as much as the USA).

Of course these are countries that are mostly built around great public transportation & far less need to drive everywhere, so I guess it all balances out. ;)

Back