cutting up a pine hit by lightning in my pasture

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lectrocrew, saw sounds great!! Looks like you are having fun with "Big Daddy"!

I have to add... If you are going to drop start your saw, set the chainbrake first, please. And blip the throttle before you take the brake off .

Be safe,

Fred

Last edited:
. I will use your information to help me improve my skills and not get hurt in the future.

perfect.

you should take a look at "fundamentals of general tree work" by GF Beranek. has a chapter that deals with wood compression and how to get a good cut on a log under all sorts of pressure. great read anyway.

look man. dont take too much to heart but definitely understand why something might have been said. just think of us all as your older brothers and although we piss you off we are only looking out for you. cool?

lol

perfect.

you should take a look at "fundamentals of general tree work" by GF Beranek. has a chapter that deals with wood compression and how to get a good cut on a log under all sorts of pressure. great read anyway.

look man. dont take too much to heart but definitely understand why something might have been said. just think of us all as your older brothers and although we piss you off we are only looking out for you. cool?

lol

:agree2: ...like a brother....without the Atomic Wedgie!!!

Well lectro, I was a little hard on ya. Nice saw, BTW. I have a big husky, but that 660 is no slouch. I guess we all jumped to conclusions about the hard-to-spot notch. Keep cuttin safe, bud. I let a couple sticks of sycamore down a little too long & ended up with pretty soft spalty lumber last year. Don't beat yourself up for waiting to cut it. I know how it is having too many things going on.

Last edited:
:)
Thanks to every single reply in this thread!!!
I have good news and bad:
Bad = Since last November I am back working for the logging company I worked for in the 90's (and they have saws). :greenchainsaw:
Good = I got hired back to drive the 1995 525 Cat skidder I drove in 95 (still running strong with a new motor only 250 hrs back after over 14000 hrs on the original). I borrowed one of the MS460 saws one day last month to cut 2 tree's that the feller buncher left that were breaking the tops out of the pine logs when I pulled them around the turn tree lining them up on the limbing gate. So I cut the 1st tree and had to get back on the skidder to push the tree off my hung saw. -no problem-...
The 460 cut through the 2nd tree with no problem other than, thanks to my trusty skidder, I had a machine to dive under (with the 460, of course), to keep from getting a bad, bad headache. So I'm alive and with all my parts still attached.:(

So I give up on ever making it as a pro saw man. But I still live for a few situations that make it all worth it.
1 = When I watch our saw men do what I wish I knew how to. (and I do enjoy helping those great guys stay alive in the woods with my machine)!!!
2 = When no man on our crew (including the boss) can get a MS460/660 to run right so they ask me to fix it: and I do.
3 = When someone takes interest in the saws I've collected (CAD :)) and has a bunch of questions.
4 = When I can log onto ArboristSite.com and talk about what's in my blood with all you that also understand.
Thanks to you all!
Mike

This http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIqOL_niPG0&feature=related would have dropped the log on the ground nicely. Then you could have made all the cuts just shy of the ground, rolled the log a quarter turn and finished cuts taking half the time and one fourth the energy.

If you humbly ask, I'll bet those cutters will gladly show you the safe way to cut that occasional tree down before you KILL YOURSELF or someone else.

Find something you enjoy to do for a living, and never work another day, or something like that.

Good luck.

This http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIqOL_niPG0&feature=related would have dropped the log on the ground nicely. Then you could have made all the cuts just shy of the ground, rolled the log a quarter turn and finished cuts taking half the time and one fourth the energy.

If you humbly ask, I'll bet those cutters will gladly show you the safe way to cut that occasional tree down before you KILL YOURSELF or someone else.

Find something you enjoy to do for a living, and never work another day, or something like that.

Good luck.
Good advise for a city boy who only got into logging because I was relocated to the country and needed a job. And I only kept that job because I'm a very hard worker. And I only lived through it because some of the best guys I've ever known watched out for my safety until I could learn for myself. I never learned enough about the saw part of it to be nearly as good as all the other men, who had done nothing but logging all their lives. But all was not in vane. I turned out to be a darn good skidder driver (after also making many mistakes). But today I'm back doing what I am a professional at, industrial machinery maintenance and repair, and I rarely create barber-chair type situation nowdays. In fact, I teach other men how to do the job and how to not get hurt or killed, just like those logging guys did for me.
I will have to say that I am very glad I got the chance to experience the logging industry and all that goes with it. I very much respect those who are highly skilled at it and risk their lives every day in such a dangerous ocupation.
Thanks for the link to the informative video. I really only cut that pine myself because I wanted to run my saw. I know I didn't do it right. But the saws were running right. I am a mechanic. I joined this site because I really like working on chainsaws. Notice most of my post are in the chainsaw section, not the logging section. My only regret nowdays is that I work 6-7 days a week as mechanic/electrician and rarely get a chance to sink a chain into wood. There's not much satisfaction in owning such awesome machines if I can't experience the thrill of operating them. :)

Latest posts

Back