Cutting with Dad

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chris-PA

Chris-PA

Where the Wild Things Are
Thursday I took the afternoon off to go and cut with my Dad, as he had no wood last winter and I didn't want to have that happen again. I had fixed his 455R and the chain was razor sharp. We had planned to drop a standing dead ash, but it was too windy and too close to a power line, so we went up to the woods.

I had commented in another thread about how I have lost some wood that was downed in the Halloween storm of a few years ago, as I was unable to clear all of it fast enough and it got embedded in the field (which gets muddy) and overgrown by Japanese stilt grass. By now most of it is pretty punky when I pry it out with the tractor.

We were up in his woods bucking up some trees downed in those same storms - and the woods was pretty darn clear in the understory. It was easy to walk though and you could see a pretty long way, just like I remember from when I was a kid who spent a lot of hours playing there. There were few briers except at the edges, and no stilt grass or autumn olive. Mine is near impenetrable, and we're about 20mi apart.

Still, it's only a matter of time, as the stilt grass is on his property, as is the oriental bittersweet.

We got him a nice stack of hard, dry ash that's ready to go now, and some oak that should be burnable in his stove towards the end of winter. When you split an ash log and it sounds like bowling pins dropping, it brings a smile! Naturally he dropped the tip in the dirt and bunged up the chain a bit, but I fixed it the best I could. I am getting a bit nervous with him running a saw these days - he's in good shape but doesn't have the strength he used to. I made sure to cut where I could keep an eye on him. Fortunately he does not try to do too much that is overly ambitious. Some of it may just be that he was never very good at it or too careful, and I'm just more aware of it now!

My Mom is a painter, and I finally got around to taking a picture of one she did (probably) around 1980. She has taken many classes since then and is quite a bit more skilled now, but I like this older one as it includes me carrying an axe back down from the woods. That is one of my favorite memories of the time.

DSC_2665.jpg

pennsywoodburnr

pennsywoodburnr

supreme scrounger
I lost my mom at an early age but my old man is still around and hoping he can retire out of his company in a few more years. It's funny, he used to burn with wood a lot more often. I remember he was throwing splits in the fireplace back when we lived in Florida, then when he got a transfer to NJ he was doing it then too. By that time I was helping him out with the splitting and stacking routine. Now since he's starting to get up there in age he doesn't have the stamina to really deal with it too much. On more than one occation I've told him I wished he lived closer so I could bury him up to his eyeballs in splits. He'll laugh, but I think in the back of his mind he might be throwing the idea around. One thing is for sure, when him and my stepmom are passing through and it's cold out and we've got the fireplace going, he'll sit right on the sofa and watch those flames. Can't be bothered with his kindle reader, the internet, any TV or anything else that might distract him. He'll just sit and watch it like it was his own personal "the firewood show" episode.

Chris-PA

Chris-PA

Yes, Dad will be 80 in a couple years, and he still takes care of the place, but I know that could/can/will change fast. I understand well why extended families lived close together, as I have my place just a little too far away. If we were closer we could help each other out.

Enjoy these times as you never know when they end.

Lost my dad when I was 20, just about when we were starting to get along again.

In reference to putting the chain in the dirt: My friend's dad is getting up there and he recently made the comment "I broke his stuff for years so now it's his turn to break some of mine." ;)

Chris-PA

Chris-PA

flotek

flotek

Addicted to ArboristSite
Now As an older man in my mid thirties I've come to appreciate the times I get outdoors to spend with my father . When I was young I thought that stuff was just chores and things to kill time I figured we would have all the time in the world to hunt fish and cut wood but now I can see for myself life goes by quicker than we think . If you got a dad or mom still around spend time with them while they are still here because tomorrow is not Guaranteed

Iska3

Iska3

Addicted to ArboristSite
It wasn’t that many years ago when I was out in the woods with my dad. I remember when I first tried to split a round of oak; I sunk that double blade axe right in to the center of that log with dad laughing the whole time. It wasn’t long and I learned to split the fresh cut side when I could and make my first hit with the axe on the far end, the second one on the end near me and the last hit in the center. After that we would have contest to see who could split the most with the less amount of hits. Those were some real good times.

Now that dad is gone, I’m out in the woods with my son; teaching him how to take down a tree safely and when not to second guess yourself. More than once I hear myself repeating the words of my dad and saying “That’s enough for now” then I think of my dad and how his health and age slowed him down. I think of the things he had taught me like how to hunt, fish, doing wood, farming, and most of all, having respect for others.

Dad passed on Nov 5th. some years ago but as I read your posting and spend my days in the woods this time of the year, I think of all those “Special Times” I had with my dad and hear my son talking about the “Special Times” he had with Grandpa.. I’m starting to get up there in age and someday I’ll be a memory because at times I hear myself saying “That’s Enough for now.” Chris, Enjoy your dad while you can and give him a big hug for me… Thanks for the memories…

Chris-PA

Chris-PA

It wasn’t that many years ago when I was out in the woods with my dad. I remember when I first tried to split a round of oak; I sunk that double blade axe right in to the center of that log with dad laughing the whole time. It wasn’t long and I learned to split the fresh cut side when I could and make my first hit with the axe on the far end, the second one on the end near me and the last hit in the center. After that we would have contest to see who could split the most with the less amount of hits. Those were some real good times.

Now that dad is gone, I’m out in the woods with my son; teaching him how to take down a tree safely and when not to second guess yourself. More than once I hear myself repeating the words of my dad and saying “That’s enough for now” then I think of my dad and how his health and age slowed him down. I think of the things he had taught me like how to hunt, fish, doing wood, farming, and most of all, having respect for others.

Dad passed on Nov 5th. some years ago but as I read your posting and spend my days in the woods this time of the year, I think of all those “Special Times” I had with my dad and hear my son talking about the “Special Times” he had with Grandpa.. I’m starting to get up there in age and someday I’ll be a memory because at times I hear myself saying “That’s Enough for now.” Chris, Enjoy your dad while you can and give him a big hug for me… Thanks for the memories…
Thanks for the great post! It's one of my greatest regrets that my son has never taken any interest in firewood or the skills required to gather it - and of course spending time with me doing so. I will keep trying though, and perhaps someday he will.

Latest posts