cylinder boring

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeymt33

I bleed YELLOW!
Reaction score
I need some help. I got a .020 over piston for my PM10-10 but I can not find anyone that will bore it for me. I live near Chattanooga TN. I would be willing to ship it as long as the total cost isn't too high. I have called every small engine shop and machine shop in the phone book, and even tried the marine shops. any help? thanks

Your 10-10 has a cast iron sleeve, so you can bore it. But it will run about 80-90$. You should be able to find a P/C for less then that.

well, I've also got a '71 Johnson seahorse outboard motor that is a 2 cylinder 4 horse power. I was hoping to find someone local that I could get both motors bored. Also, I've already got $20 in a .020 over piston and rings. I may need to search for a new piston and cylinder and try to sell the new piston. Thanks for the info guys, I would still like to price the job with someone though to see if I could get a package deal on the boat motor and saw motor.

There is a guy that has a motorcycle shop just out side of robinsville NC. He does boring and honing on dirt bike engines. I think its called wheelers 129 performance. Its near deals gap or known as the dragons tail. Heck it ain't but 15 min from the TN border.

Boring

What is the bore size ? Is the cylinder & head one piece ? Boring is easy - honing to final size is another story. Sunnen makes honing mandrels in tons of sizes. I have many but not all sizes. Smallest is 1/4" - the largest is 5" Sunnen is the ONLY hone I have ever used that produces a round straight bore. I have a dozen other brands in a bucket - they are all junk by comparison. I work by the hour, boring & honing a cylinder usually costs $30 - $40. Because of the cost I only do sizes that I have mandrels for. The machine cost $3500 used - I have another $15,000 in mandrels. Yea - My shop is excessive.

What is the bore size ? Is the cylinder & head one piece ? Boring is easy - honing to final size is another story. Sunnen makes honing mandrels in tons of sizes. I have many but not all sizes. Smallest is 1/4" - the largest is 5" Sunnen is the ONLY hone I have ever used that produces a round straight bore. I have a dozen other brands in a bucket - they are all junk by comparison. I work by the hour, boring & honing a cylinder usually costs $30 - $40. Because of the cost I only do sizes that I have mandrels for. The machine cost $3500 used - I have another $15,000 in mandrels. Yea - My shop is excessive.

So where in Illinois are you located??????

Bill

Reboring an engine for a larger piston will be really expensive, as it means replating as well - just forget it! :givebeer:

http://www.usnicom.com/

http://www.uschrome.com/wisconsin.html

call them....They were doing saws in the past.....

I have to agree with Sawtroll on this one.

The 10-10 should have a cast iron sleeve and won't need to be re-chromed. So he would just be out the cost of getting the cylinder bored.

More boring facts

Boring and honing a cylinder that is open on both ends is easy. Honing a cylinder that has a non removeable head requires a "blind hole" mandrel. I have done Mac kart engines that had removable heads. They are so easy its almost "boring".

The guy that used to do all my Motorycycle stuff moved out to Tenn to open his shop up.( much cheaper then CT) His name is Ray Mancini @ extreme motorsports. All the tiny cylinders he did on the lathe since most can't fit on the boring bar. He was really fair on his prices too. He's in Cedar hill Tenn now. He's the only one around that I could get to do little stuff.

http://xtreme-motorsports.com/index.php?option=com_contact&view=contact&id=1&Itemid=45

I just found out that extreme motorsports is less than 30 minutes out of my way when driving to work. I will try there first, thanks again

Back