Cylinder cleaning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty sure that dishwasher detergent contains a LOT of sodium carbonate, which is a fairly strong base that will eat aluminum. Beware.

(FWIW, you can convert sodium bicarbonate -- "baking soda" -- into sodium carbonate -- "washing soda" -- by heating it in a glass pot on a stove.)

I'd be pretty careful with it around chainsaw jugs, though...honestly, aluminum is so incredibly thermally-conductive that I wouldn't worry all that much about a little sap and crap on the jug. If you've ever tried to weld aluminum, you'll know what I mean...aluminum conducts heat better than any metal known to man, except silver (#1) and copper (#2)...

I'm pretty sure that dishwasher detergent contains a LOT of sodium carbonate, which is a fairly strong base that will eat aluminum. Beware.

(FWIW, you can convert sodium bicarbonate -- "baking soda" -- into sodium carbonate -- "washing soda" -- by heating it in a glass pot on a stove.)

I'd be pretty careful with it around chainsaw jugs, though...honestly, aluminum is so incredibly thermally-conductive that I wouldn't worry all that much about a little sap and crap on the jug. If you've ever tried to weld aluminum, you'll know what I mean...aluminum conducts heat better than any metal known to man, except silver (#1) and copper (#2)...
Ya fergot the GOLD and a few other precious metals But yes I agree with ya.

I use a ultrasonic cleaner with a 70/30 mix of water and simple green. Works pretty good but won’t remove the heavy staining. Removes the lighter carbon but not the hard cooked on stuff. Media blasting would be the way to go for that “like new” look.

Back