Cylinder Honing Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FernGreen

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys so I’m trying to learn about cylinder honing as I have a stihl 044 10mm pin saw that I want to “freshen up” as the compression is around 138 psi. I plan to put a new oem piston and rings in It. So I’ve done a little reading on cylinder honing and this is what I’ve gathered so far: I need a flex honing tool. I need to “crosshatch.” Does the flex hone do the crosshatching or is there a certain way you use the hone that creates the crosshatches? Where should I buy the flex hone from? I saw them on baileys but I did not find one that was 10% oversized (55mm). What grit should I use if I’m just trying to prepare It for the new rings? Also if you have links to any good write ups or videos that’d be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Ok so I figured out that you just order the size for your bore, the 10% oversize is already factored in. I also dug up an old thread of a bunch of guys arguing with each other about whether to hone or not. Has anything changed or is this still a heated debate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok so I figured out that you just order the size for your bore, the 10% oversize is already factored in. I also dug up an old thread of a bunch of guys arguing with each other about whether to hone or not. Has anything changed or is this still a heated debate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
One wrong move and your cylinder is trash. It’s not needed

Back