Cylinder marks, How much is too much?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You don't need a shop press to remove and install bearings in a saw case. Heat the case halves up on your woodstove and use an socket to tap them out. Same deal for tapping them in- heat the case halves up and leave the bearings somewhere cold for 20 minutes or so. You'll be able to tap them in. Then you pull the case halves together over the crank with some long 5mm screws. Once you get the case halves pulled together close enough, take out the longer screws and use the standard case screws to pull everything tight. It isn't a big deal.

Yes, I'm guessing that's a bad idea?

The seller said the bearings were good (depends on his definition of good), this was one of those stripped down cases with nothing but the case and crank in it.

I have yet to see a seller on e-bay who really knows the difference between a good bearing and a bearing that looks decent and rolls fairly smooth but isn't going to last. Using used bearings is a crap shoot anyways and almost always ends up being a waste of time.

Great tips!!:clap:

I was curious about using longer bolts to pull it together, it seems like they are in a good spot for that. I'll also buy some 1.5" round stock to make a few arbors to tap them in/out.

I'll order some new case bearings and do this right, I'd like to know how anyway and would feel alot better knowing I have new ones in there. I've got the old case split now. (One bearing was shot) That's probably why there are some marks on the top of the cylinder too (Pieces of the bearing cage).

Anyhow, I don't want this to happen to my new top end and it seems these 044 bearings are pretty light duty compared to the 066.

Latest posts

Back