Damage to sweet gum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xander9727

The Silverback
Reaction score
Took down a large lightening damaged ash tree this week. When we dropped the main spar we pulled it with a truck. It had a bad lean and was very decayed. I redirected off of a sweet gum to prevent lawn damage. The driver kept going once I told him to stop. He put way more tension on the rope than I wanted or needed. Additionally a cow hitched tenex sling was used instead of a strap. The combined problems caused the tenex to squeeze the bark off of the sweet gum. The tree is 10" dbh and maybe 20' tall. It took the bark off all of the way around the tree in an area approx 3-4 inches high. The home owners aren't really upset but I don't feel right damaging their tree. What if any advice does anyone have to help the tree recover. I've never dealt with a wound like this. I would think water and fert. would help but beyond that am looking for your professional opinions.

xander9727 said:
The tree is 10" dbh and maybe 20' tall. It took the bark off all of the way around the tree in an area approx 3-4 inches high.
ALL the way around? If you can't get a bridge graft done, it is technically dead. Nice people not to be mad; many I know would be asking for a 20' replacement.

All is not lost yet.

Try a bridge graft, it's worth it.

If only the bark came off you have a good chance. Under the bark, the first layer is the phloem, then there's the sapwood layer which usually has xylem and phloem of prev years growth.

Do a search on the net if your not sure how to go about it but it's not rocket science.

THe worst part is stopping decay of that area, now that it's exposed who knows what has got in there.

I bet it won't die. No way. I'd offer a free fert, tell them that all is well and see ya!
I don't even think the fert is called for but it will make them think that you are a great guy. If the bark is still there (too late now) I'd tack it back on with a very small nail or in this case wrap it with a zip tie and tell the customer to cut the tie off this time next year and I bet the bark will be re-attached (a graft).
Greg

Thanks for the input. I put the bark back as well as I could. I'll continue to monitor the tree and will fertilize it. I'll let you know how it works out.

Kind of makes me want to stop hanging blocks with a chain from any tree that is needed to redirect a bullrope to the truck. Not that I care but it usually just bites the opposite side the block is on, never more than 1/2 the tree, and then only every other link.

I made that mistake before on a Park Service tree. Fortunately some bark remained. The trick is to learn from it and don't let it happen again. Sounds like you got lucky with understanding customers and all. When you make mistakes in this business they are usually big and obvious with little chance for hiding the damage. It kills me inside to screw up but perfection doesn't seem to be in the cards for me... Took out a window this week with a stick the size of a pencil after throwing branch after branch safely to the ground. Aaaaahhh! :angry:

Good luck with your tree.

clearance said:
Kind of makes me want to stop hanging blocks with a chain... Not that I care but it usually just bites the opposite side the block is on, never more than 1/2 the tree, and then only every other link.
Clearance, you know that level of damage can be fatal, so it's good you want to try something else. Nylon straps with eyes do minimal damage and are much lighter and easier to use than lugging a chain around.

But with too much pressure and not enough surface area, they too can do lasting damage. I pulled out a maple out of a construction site in my kid's schoolyard and transplanted it when he was a kindergartener. It didn't grow, but it didn't die until he was in fourth grade. looked like crap the whole time, but we "hoped for the best :rolleyes: and the damage to the bark didn't show for years.

O and clearnace we know that you really do care; after all trees are #3 on your list of priorities, right? :cool:

Old Monkey said:
. It kills me inside to screw up but perfection doesn't seem to be in the cards for me... Took out a window this week with a stick the size of a pencil after throwing branch after branch safely to the ground. Aaaaahhh! :angry:
ha! i'm glad that i am not the only one that kind of thing happens to. perfection for a couple days solid on a big job- then while hanking a line, getting the last few pieces of equipment on the truck, the rope gets a little hung up on a piece of deck furniture. sore muscles, tired, hungry, give the rope an exagerrated, hasteful tug and knock the fancy bird feeder thingy off the handrail through the glass table top on the patio below! :angel:

Sweetgums are tough trees. If the tree was in good health before you got there, it may recover. Be careful with fertilizer though, don't want to overdo it. Lots of trees die because of overzealous feeding. Test the soil before you fertilize, you may not need any.

Back