Damper or No Damper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DFK

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
We are having an old chimmney rebuilt. The old fireplace had a damper.
The plan is to get a (new) Fireplace Insert and heat the front of the house with it.
The room is not large enough for a free standing stove.

Question:
The Brick man said the he "Was Not" going to install a Damper.....
Is this a good or bad idea????

The new Insert will have a steel flue liner ran all the way to the top of the chimmney.
But..... If we ever deside to do something different, Like install Gas Logs or use an Open Fireplace... Then what???

Thanks
David

Seems like your insert should have it's own built in damper.

I personally don't use dampers, if I want to slow down the burn, I put larger pieces in. That's just me, most people use them.

No Damper, block off plate assembly top and bottom with new liner passing through. Bottom block off plate very important or you will be back singing the blues.

The answer may be in your insert installation instructions. Dampers where common back in the day of crude stoves with very poor control over air input. Modern stoves usually do not need a damper.

Harry K
Agree with Harry. Most all modern wood burning appliances control burn rate by the amount of combustion air that is allowed to reach the fire, so there is no need for an exhaust damper. You should check out recommendations of the particular model you intend to install.

The OP is talkin' 'bout a fireplace chimney damper... not a damper to be used with a stove or insert.
Once the insert and liner is installed the damper could not be used... but the OP is concerned with "what if" he decides to go back to an open fireplace someday.

Question:
The Brick man said the he "Was Not" going to install a Damper.....
Is this a good or bad idea????
Bad idea... if you ever do remove the insert you'll need some way to close off the chimney when the fireplace is not in use. Although it is possible to add a damper later... usually at the top of the chimney and operated by a cable/linkage affair.

Modern stoves usually do not need a damper.
Need?? Maybe... maybe not.
The performance of any stove may be improved with a flue damper, even the most modern stove... but you'll never know if ya' don't try it.

The number one priority for a stove maker is to comply with EPA regulations; anything and everything else has to be, out of necessity, a distant second... if the appliance can't certify... it can't be sold... your company goes broke.
The reason flue dampers are not recommended by makers of modern stoves is due to "regulations"... adding a flue damper "modifies" the stove's emissions control system (so to speak). But that does not mean performance can't be improved by using one. If a stove maker recommended a flue damper it would sort'a be like a car maker providing instructions on how to modify the emissions control system to obtain better performance.

Don't buy into the propaganda... you're being fooled.
"They" don't want you to have that much control of your appliance... "they" believe you are and idiot that needs to be protected from yourself.
Think 'bout it...

There is no way I'd install any wood-fired appliance without a flue damper... for the couple dollars it costs I'd much rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. And the truth is... I've never seen a wood-fired appliance that didn't benefit from a flue damper at least some of the time.

The answer may be in your insert installation instructions. Dampers where common back in the day of crude stoves with very poor control over air input. Modern stoves usually do not need a damper.

Harry K
The flue damper does several things:it will slow down the burn by slowing
the air flow through the stove.It will also slow down the heat loss out of the flue.If closed down too much it will build creosote in the stack.

Thanks WhiteSpider.

Will see what I can do about getting a Fireplace Chimney Damper Installed.
The brick man has been on hold for several days due to all the rain.
Weather man said it is going to rain for another week. Boo Hoo.

We have just started looking for a new Fireplace Insert......
These new fangled wood burners are all new to me.
Will be looking for a bit of advice soon after the chimney is completed.

David

Question everything...

Notice how many stove makers instruct you to measure the draft, and if necessary use a barometric damper to adjust it... basically to the same draft used for EPA certification.
Well, the end result of a flue damper is the same thing... but without introducing cooler air into the flue, and without sucking more air from the room. A flue damper, like a barometric damper, reduces the "suck" acting on the firebox... the combustion air intake adjustment cannot do that, it can only adjust flow relative to the "suck". When someone says your a modern stove needs a barometric damper to adjust draft, and then says your modern stove can't use a flue damper... well... that's just silly. If a barometric damper can be used, a flue damper can be used in it's place... plain and simple. A flue damper, used correctly, actually does a better job than a barometric damper because it keeps more heat in the box and doesn't cool the flue gasses.

The problem with a flue damper is you might screw it up and smolder the fire (causing evil particulates to be emitted :eek:)... so "they" tell you to use a barometric damper so you're protected from yourself.

Question everything...

dampers are also used to control a overdraft problem , on most modern stoves and inserts this is not a problem
Actually, overdraft is more of a problem on modern stoves than with older stoves, and quite common... especially with taller chimneys in cold climates.
You can read about it here...

http://www.gulland.ca/florida_bungalow_syndrome.htm

John Gulland (Gulland Associates, Inc.) is highly respected in the industry... the link above is not just some guy with an ax-to-grind.
You can read about who John Gulland is, and how he's been involved with the industry for over 40 years at this link...

http://www.gulland.ca/abtjohn.htm

Doveryai no proveryai.

like whitespider said what if you one day you just wanted to use it as a fireplace .
did no one read the OP post? :dumb:
the OP said he wanted one incase he takes the insert out later...
DFK have the mason put the damper frame in place but just leave the door out...the door usually just sits on top of the frame...

Whitespider we're not in Russia...speak American please:dizzy:

Back