Damper question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

100 Watt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I installed a damper above my add-on on the 6" singlewall. The chimney itself is @ 30' of 6" triple wall. It draws extremely well. With the damper wide open it blows through the wood. Luckliy I'm able to see the fire through the window on my stove and choke it down. It's a fine line between too little and too much. My problem is the wifey and kids are not very good at reading the fire. Does anyone make a better damper that can be dialed in a little easier. We open the damper while loading to reduce any smoke. It then needs reset. I'm thinking someone would (or should) make one that that is a little more accurately set. I suppose I could put a screw in the flue to act as a stop. Any suggestions? Thanks

Make sure the spring that puts tension on the damper isn't too old. Sometimes they will get weak, and the damper will spin too easily.

If you normally have it at a certain spot, then a screw stop wouldn't hurt. It would make it easier for the rest of the family to run. As long as you're not making creosote, you're ok.

Mind me asking what brand/model add-on you have, reason I ask is that it sounds like my set up very fine line between making creosote and too hot, mine is a Englander add-on furnance 36' chimney, I too blow thru wood if I burn between 400-600*F.

Back